VMware Cloud Community
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

VMware Syslog Collector - vSphere 6 - Anyone???

Hi,

I was looking to use syslog collector on the environment.

So, as Syslog collector support a max of 30 per instance, we want to install 1 instance per cluster.

However, on v6 is there a way to install syslog collector on a dedicated server????

Because currently I saw that it is installed automatically when installing vCenter, but does not have an option to just install this component.

I see there is the syslog collector package in the vCenter folder of the install media, but this install the files but do not configure anything.

So, before I go to investigate I was wondering if someone know the way to get that installed on an external VMs outside of vCenter?

Also, with the vCenter 5.5 install media, you can install just the syslog collector, any one know if using syslog collector 5.5 to receive ESXi 6 logs would cause issues?

That would be the last option though.

Thanks for the help.

Jon

5 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

as you know with vSphere 6 Vmware syslog Collector is part of vCenter services group on Windows and cannot be installed desperately.

I think there should not be any issue if you use Syslog collector from 5.5 just don't integrate it with vCenter 6.

ESXi Host should able to send logs to 5.5 syslog service.

or if possible you can create service request for vmware.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

Hi,

thanks for the input, I just created a VMware service request with all the question I had..

I'll post the results as soon I get that.

Jon

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is VCenter Syslog collector freeware or separetely licensed in vSphere 5.5 ?

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

vCenter Syslog collector is part of VMware vCenter server components.

Till vCenter 5.5 we could install syslog separately from vCenter installation ISO however in vCenter 6.x there is no separate installable available for syslog.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
stgepopp
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

use better:

VMware LogInsight (free with vSphere 6 since 2016 for 25 syslog instances, but have a few restrictions -> VMware vRealize Log Insight: Log Management & Analytics | VMware Deutschland; vRealize Log Insight 3.3 available for free - www.ivobeerens.nl)

Sexilog (complete free -> www.sexilog.fr)

Erich

0 Kudos