VMware Communities
shazoom
Contributor
Contributor

Xserver hangs after resizing / partitions, Ubuntu Precise

Can anybody offer any suggestion how to solve my issue?

I needed to enlarge the system partition so I:

1. Edited /etc/fstab and commented out the swap entry
  2. Enlarged the disk size in vmware settings
  3. Set the CD drive to the latest gparted live image and CD to be the boot device
  4. Used gparted to move the extended partition and swap partition to the end of the enlarged disk and expand the root partition

When I booted it fails when the xserver starts. Ubuntu comes with a recovery system which can be accessed through grub and from its terminal I verified the / partition is mounted correctly. I can't figure out what could be the problem.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
shazoom
Contributor
Contributor

Seems like Linux filesystems have improved even without LVM.

It's entirely possible to resize / filesystem online, at least for ext4 (I expect ext3 too.) This isn't too much of a surprise but a second trick mentioned in the link below, and the fdisk man page, can be used to resize a root filesystem without a recovery disk. Basically, used fdisk to delete the root partition entry and recreate it starting at the same block but extending past the old ending position.

No hanging at the graphical login now Smiley Happy

Edit: just to be clear; fdisk can be used to resize the partition, then, resize2fs can be used to resize (increase only for online) the filesystem.

partitioning - How can I resize an ext root partition at runtime? - Ask Ubuntu

0 Kudos