VMware Networking Community
aju_sl
Contributor
Contributor

New to vmware ecosystem, and need helping hands :)

Hi All,

I am completely new to vmware, and came here in search of network virtualization. Could someone assist me to understand where to begin with? How can I get started to learn or understand different elements of the vmware ecosystem? I have been in the Networking field for quite sometime around 4 years, and would love to grasp network virtaulization. Is there any document or link where I could get hold of the basics needed to get along with network virtualization and in turn move to NSX?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bsalek
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome!

I think it might benefit you to get a virtualization 101, even before getting into network virtualization. Here is a starting place: What is virtualization? Virtualization 101 | United States

Then to get started in NV, I would recommend starting with the NSX Fundamentals class. Depending on your location, there may be a live class near you. That would be the best option because you have direct access to the instructors. Otherwise, we constantly deliver them live online as well. There is a technical intro webinar on Wednesday: Registration Launch As a last resort, you can always watch a recorded version of the Fundamentals: VMware Network Virtualization Fundamentals

Hope that helps! Please use the communities to ask questions. There are a lot of super-geeks on here that can answer just about anything you need.

Regards,

Bryan

0 Kudos
aju_sl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much Bsalek, appreciate it. I have gone through the 101 virtualization, and going through the said recorded version of NV fundamentals. I have never worked with vsphere environmet at all, so feels a bit lost whilst in the initial stage. Lets see where it goes.. Thank you once again Bsalek

0 Kudos
ocecil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey aju_sl, I understand it can be overwhelming at first, but it really boils down to couple main components that allows the magic to happen. If you'd like, I can spend some time with you to give you a crash course on my environment. Also, you can also use VMware HOL to get some hands-on experience, it is actually very helpful for beginners.

0 Kudos
aju_sl
Contributor
Contributor

hi Ocecil, I would love to and all help are greeted with smile. Let me know where we should begin Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
prabhurajk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello aju_sl

You can try VMware NSX – virtualXpress.IN. Hope this helps

Thanks

0 Kudos
aju_sl
Contributor
Contributor

@ocecil: I have been trying to send you a private message. I surely need your help and assistance. I am currently going through the basic fundamentals of NV, the recorded videos. How to get some hands on with NSX? I have not even tried the standard switch before.

0 Kudos
ocecil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Aju_sl, check your inbox. I've sent you couple messages and included my contact information. Let me know if you still don't see it.

0 Kudos
RaymundoEC
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

check this one:

https://community.emc.com/thread/221699

regards.

+vRay
0 Kudos
Samsonite801
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The document I found very useful is this one:

https://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/products/nsx/vmw-nsx-network-virtualization-design-guide.pdf

It has all you need to get going with NSX.

I highly recommend to build your own lab. NSX Manager OVA when first deployed is running in eval mode for most likely 60-days which is enough time to play with it. Most likely if you run out of eval it is good anyway to blow away your lab and build fresh for exercise.

The more I learn about how NSX works, the more I am interested in the intricate details of how it works under the hood and it fuels my learning.

0 Kudos