VMware Communities
Steve2k
Contributor
Contributor

Urgent help needed!!!, All vm data lost, any way to recover?

I installed Ubuntu 14 using the easy install.  It worked fine.  Did some work, etc,

I go to shutdown ubuntu so I can make some vm setting changes.

I go to restart the vm.  It now says Operating System not found.

I have files on that VM that I urgently need to recover as I have to have them for a job application asap.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can recover my data?

I've tried forcing the startup disk to be the hd...no luck

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve:smileyplain::smileyangry:

0 Kudos
4 Replies
xahare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

boot your vm from the iso as a cdrom. then you can mount your vm hardisk and copy your files off.

btw, ubuntu 16.04 just got released today.

0 Kudos
spiderkarma
Contributor
Contributor

I was going to suggest mounting the Ubuntu drive using Paragon VMDK Mounter, which is free. However, I just tried mounting an Ubuntu 14.04 disk and it could not do it. It does work with my Windows VM, maybe it can only mount Windows disk formats, the software web site doesn't say. YYMV.

There may be a similar product that can do this for Linux, but I don't know what that would be.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You  need to install a  file system  driver for Linux, like Paragon ExtFS

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is there a .iso connected to the virtual DVD drive? It might be trying to boot off that.

To recover data from the 'broken' vm, you can try a couple of things.

- Make a New VM using a new virtual disk,  then add an existing hard disk (after Ubuntu finishes installing), and choose the 'broken' disk. You'll have to manually mount it most likely, but the file system should be intact.

- Make a new VM using the existing "broken" disk. It will try to boot up from that.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos