VMware Networking Community
crgit
Contributor
Contributor

NSX Edge and ospf on uplinks

Hi,

I have an ESG that I currently has one uplink interface running ospf to a cisco router, this is working fine.

I have now added another uplink interface to another cisco switch that I want to enable ospf on, however, it will not initiate on the ESG and does not even show the cisco switch in an init stage.

On the cisco switch, it does find the ESG and shows it is in an INIT/Drother state.

Am I running into a limitation of one uplink with ospf per ESG? I have searched and cannot seem to find any documentation relating to this.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
chuckbell
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is your goal to have 2 OSPF neighbors from a single ESG peer with Cisco?

Are the two uplinks in different vlan's?

If the uplinks are in the same broadcast domain (vlan), then that would be a normal if all router interfaces were on same vlan. The highest IP address or highest priority will be elected the DR the next highest BDR and the rest DRother.

The pic below although it shows ECMP and 2 physical routers, would work with a single ESG too. 

You need 2 VLANs used for peering with physical Routers

Map each of these VLANs (portgroups) to a different dvUplink on Edge VDS to ensure distribution of N/S traffic across dvUplinks

Uplink = VLAN = Adjacency

Picture1.png

0 Kudos
crgit
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, they are both on separate vlan's and separate process id's to two different networks.

0 Kudos
chuckbell
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It was worth a shot in asking.

I would enable logging on the ESG then SSH to the edge and run some 'show ip ospf' commands, run 'debug ip ospf' to see if the logs point you to any indication why the neighbor won't enter a FULL state.

0 Kudos