VMware Cloud Community
Wayne1j
Contributor
Contributor

Filtering newly built VMs from symptoms

Good day,

I am curious regarding the nature of freshly built VMs and policy application.

I have observed that there is a delay when they are powered on and when they are filtered into a custom group.

For example; I have a development server that via naming policy will have the development policy applied to it.  For the first 3 collection cycles the VM has the default policy applied to it and sends out unnecessary alerts regarding workload and up-time during application installation.

Any ideas for a metric that I can tie to machine build time, number of collection cycles or thus? 

I would then at the least be able to apply a filter to specific alert policies to disregard this as an anomaly.

Ideally I would like to filter all symptoms for a brief period after the machine is built.

I appreciate any thoughts on the matter,

sincerely me.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Travdaddy10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I've done was create groups based of VM folders. We  have our VM build script place the VM in the folder called "BuildInProgress" or what not. The group is tied to a policy where we've disabled all the alerting. When the build is complete we then move the VM out of the folder. We also have one for ArchivedVM's so they won't alert when they are powered down.

0 Kudos