VMware Cloud Community
rkochery
Contributor
Contributor

Does EVC support VT-x

Hello All,

I am not an expert in Vmware, kindly bear with me.

The customer is trying to deploy OVA of our application which is packaged into Ubuntu 14.04. Our application requires VT-X and EPT technologies also required nested virtualization.

The OVA is deployed in UCS-C240_M35, ESXI 6.0 and a cluster in which has EVC enabled and runs on EVC mode Penryn. when we power on the VM we get the following error.

error1.jpg

The Host details

hw.JPG

We also get the following error while trying to migrate.

migrate.JPG

The Host CPU Intel Xeon E5-2680 supports VT-x and EPT, so there is no reason for that error to pop in. Will EVC limit the VTX capabilities running in EVC mode Penyrn?

Thanks in Advance,

Romal

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
balajibandi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Suggest to follow the link make sure you expose the HV option mentioned in the document..

http://www.vmwarearena.com/unable-to-power-on-64-bit-vms-on-nested-esxi-host/

BB

0 Kudos
rkochery
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Balaji,

Really appreciate your reply.. thanks much.

I did some research on Penryn EVC supported features and i found that the penryn generation does not support EPT.

Our application requires VT-X and EPT support and also our application is bundled on a 64 bit ubuntu 14.0.4

It would be really great if you can validate the above statement.

Thankyou so much..

0 Kudos
balajibandi
Contributor
Contributor

E5-2680 CPU support supports as per the document.

send me the screen shot of CPU settings ?

BB

0 Kudos
rkochery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Balaji,

Thanks for your reply, in my understanding after EVC is enabled, all hosts in the cluster are configured to present the CPU features of a user-selected processor type to all virtual machines running in the cluster. This ensures CPU compatibility for vMotion even though the underlying hardware might be different from host to host. Identical CPU features are exposed to virtual machines regardless of which host they are running on, so that the virtual machines can migrate between any hosts in cluster.

which i assume mentions that if the host is configured with EVC mode penryn, will only support Xeon Core 2 processor features. as per the below kb article.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10032...

And, Xeon core 2 processors does not have EPT feature

Please correct me if i am wrong. awaiting your valuable thoughts.

Thanks,

Romal

0 Kudos