VMware Communities
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 12 - How to set a fixed Machine ID to a VM ?

Am facing issues with Anti-Virus software.

Although I purchased a sufficient number of licenses, the software reports that I am running out of licenses.

The key I've bought is valid for 4 PC's.

I use it for 2 "real PC's" and 2 VM's.

However, it appears that the key used on the the host pc is used for 3 Machine-ID's, instead of being used for just 1.

I assume it counts the 'real pc' and the 2 VM's.

I am having an endless communication with the AV software developer.

They told me that

"... there is only one computer name logged in the first license on the key, however it appears with three different Machine ID's.

Something is causing Machine ID's to change"

This leads me to believe that it is caused by the Machine ID's of the VM's  (2x VM's and 1 host).

Also because I see numerous error entries in Windows 10 x64 evenlog (EventID 7031)

The VMware Workstation Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The User Data Access_33965 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The User Data Storage_33965 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective etc.

The Contact Data_33965 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective etc.

The Sync Host_33965 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective etc.

The VMware Workstation Server service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following etc.

The User Data Access_33388 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following etc.

The User Data Storage_33388 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following etc.

The Contact Data_33388 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following etc.

The Sync Host_33388 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following etc.

Questions:

a) how to assign a fixed Machine ID to a VM ?

b) how to avoid these eventlog errors?

Thanks

=

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Virtual Machine hardware ID's do not change by itself.

The only scenario I can come up with when they change if when you move the VM to another folder and open it again.

VMware Workstation will then ask "did you move or copy the VM?", answering "copy" will regenerate a new set of ID's.

We don't know what your AV developer has come up with to count his licenses and what the company considers their unique "machine ID" therefor your question is a bit difficult to answer. If they count a computer name as a significant part of the ID then it has nothing to do with virtualisation. You can change your computer network name easily.

Eg. In Windows 8.1, right-click "start button" -> System -> Computer Name is in that screen, you can change it there.

Your report makes me believe that some of your machines have the same name there (which could cause other problems in accessing network resources as well, but that's beside the point)

FWIW I doubt the eventlog items are related to the license issues.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the above.

After a lot of testing it was discovered that some other product that I am using and that is creating virtual encrypted drives,

may be the cause of the issue. The developers are working out a solution for this.

To put it very simple: the virtual drives, each time they are mounted, are detected as 'new hardware' by the A/V-license server

and at one point in time the A/V-license server tells me that I run out of licenses - using too many machines or so.

The A/V software, at first use, apparently generates a specific ID, based on the set of hardware, and this ID is being recorded on the

A/V license server. A bit like Microsoft I suppose.

Because of the virtual drives the 'set of hardware' is changing and so the "ID" and therefore the ID does not match the ID initially

recorded on the A/V license server. So the A/V license server assumes I am using the software on a different machine.

Anyway, it has nothing to do with VMware.

Thanks again and sorry for the delay.

=

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Great to hear you found out what was causing the issue.

Sound weird that the virtual encrypted drive changes the hardware ID on each boot, although I have to admit that the AV vendors machine ID mechanism sounds a bit flawed as well to my ears.

Anyways, it is their product.

Good to hear the developers of the encrypted drive software are working on it.

Thanks for reporting back what caused the issue.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos