VMware Cloud Community
JustinCase20111
Contributor
Contributor

SAN + iSCSI Performance testing with IOmeter

Help me out with a couple of questions when testing SAN iSCSI Performance with IOMeter.

1. Does my test VM need to have NIC in iSCSI network? Right now my VM is connected only to my LAN network.

2. I've attached a RAW mapped LUN as a hard disk to my test VM through vSphere. There are no other VM's in that LUN. Is this all I need?

3.I've tested performance with;

Max Throughput 100% read. I used 32KB blocks, 100% read actions and 100% sequential way. Outstanding IO's 16.

Here is the result:

Test name                   Latency             Avg iops            Avg MBps         cpu load

Max Throughput           2.28                     6736                    210                  29%

I know I'm missing all the important information to that result to be a comparable, but I need to understand the important things first to keep going. But my ESXi is using 4x1GBps NIC's in iSCSI with Multipathing enabled. So am I using all that bandwith with my current configuration?

What are the values I should be expecting when iSCSI is used with 4x1GBps all the way (also my SAN) and configured with best practices? Should it be near 400MBps? Or is something like my 210MBps fine?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Hello!

1. No, there is no need to have virtual nic connected to iSCSI network.

2. In theory yes.

3. It depends on what you want to test.

If you want to test your storage array - iometer is good.

If you wan to test network bandwith , you should use tools for network test. iperf for example.

Expected results always depend on configuration. I mean what is a RAID level, how much disks in RAID, cache size on storage and etc.

In your scenario you got speed for your storage for particular load. You may get another numbers with random read\write.

0 Kudos