VMware Horizon Community
chriskoch99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

iOS - "Session disconnected due to staying in background too long" - is the timeout adjustable?

Our mobile clinicians switch between their VDI and other iOS apps on their iPads, and it's particularly frustrating to them that they have to logon to the connection server again if they spend a couple minutes in another app and want to go back to their VDI.  They have to generate a new RSA token (in another app), come back to Horizon, enter the token, and then also enter domain credentials each time they log on.  This is a huge pain to someone not focused on technology.

Is there a way to administratively adjust the disconnect timeout for the iOS app when it's in the background?  I don't see it in the settings...   (Note that I'm not talking about the Desktop Pool's idle session timeout setting, which is 120 minutes. This is unique to the mobile app.)

If not, any chance we might see this in the future?

4 Replies
stealth916
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this question, any help or insight would be appreciated.  I have some very frustrated users.  Thanks,

temp.png

0 Kudos
moto316
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ditto, any progress and/or updates on this? Having Touch ID enabled for internal connections eases the complexity of moving in and out of VDI sessions but it would be nice if it could be configurable so our users didn't have to go through the whole 2FA process copying and pasting their RSA codes,etc.

0 Kudos
Ballen6545
Contributor
Contributor

This is an old thread but has there been any updates? I'm on Horizon 7.4 and still get the background message after a few minutes.

0 Kudos
Ballen6545
Contributor
Contributor

In case there is anyone asking the same question, this is what I got from VMware Support.

This is an expected behavior due to the way how ios devices handles the application. This is due to iOS system restrictions to the life time of a background app which is 3 minutes, ios devices does not allow all the application to run on the background to make sure applications does not consume the power and resources.

In iOS, only specific app types are allowed to run in the background:

Apps that play audible content to the user while in the background, such as a music player app
Apps that record audio content while in the background
Apps that keep users informed of their location at all times, such as a navigation app
Apps that support Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
Apps that need to download and process new content regularly
Apps that receive regular updates from external accessories
Users can manage the list of apps that needs to run on the background by modifying at - Settings app > General > Background App Refresh to manage the apps that need to run on the background,

If you look at the list of Apps, Horizon View client will not be listed in the Background app refresh list since it does fall under one of the app category as listed above, let us know if this answers your query.

So, no luck on getting applications to stay in the background longer than 3 minutes.

0 Kudos