VMware Cloud Community
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to view point in time concurrent workflow executions?

Some background:

• Large highly available, distributed vRealize Automation 6.2.2 environment that spans 3 datacenters
  • 2 DEM workers per dc
  • 2 Proxy agents per dc
  • 1 Dem Orchestrator

The problem:

Last night we had a customer ask for 18 VMs on the same request. They received 14 of those VMs the other 4 changed to state 'BuildingMachine' but our workflow stubs never kicked off. Shortly after the audit log shows the state changing to 'Disposing' and lastly 'Finalized'. We have a hunch that there was an issue with concurrent number of workflows running that caused timeouts to occur, but when I looked into the logs on the DEM workers I wasn't able to gather anything that would indicate as such, and additionally there was no error given for why they failed. The request did return a status of failed and provided the customer with the 14 successfully provisioned VMs.

So my question is, how can I help track down what occurred here if there was no helpful error and I cannot find anything in the logs? Am I looking in the incorrect spots(DEM worker logs)? We are thinking that we may need to scale out the number of DEM workers in our environment to make sure that this does not happen again, but before we do that it would be nice to know if concurrent workflow executions were actually the issue we ran into.

If anyone has any experience with tracking this issue down that would be helpful, thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

If this was for vSphere then the Proxy Agent is responsible for provisioning, and those are the logs you should be looking at.

Of course, if there are orchestrator workflows associated with particular stubs, then they are fulfilled with the DEM Workers. In that case you need to also correlate those logs. In 6.x the concurrent "workflows" from a DEM perspective (not vRO) is 15 each.

Hope that helps a little.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos
zwal1986
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Grant,

This was an issue with stubs, so they would have went through the DEM Workers. I've searched them for information related to how many workflows were running but wasn't able to see this information anywhere. Do you know what specifically I should be looking for in the logs? Appreciate the help.

0 Kudos
GrantOrchardVMw
Commander
Commander

Apologies, my day job got a little demanding last week!

If the vRO workflows never kicked off then you're looking in the right place (DEM Worker logs). I haven't seen this issue, but you could search the logs for the workflow ID and see what comes back.

Grant

Grant http://grantorchard.com
0 Kudos