VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

vSphere Replication Server 1.0.3.4117 and VRMS 1.0.3.0 to 6 and SRM 6 for vSphere 6 migration

Hello,

I am documenting and testing an upgrade of vSphere 5.0 to 6.0 which also includes SRM with vSphere Replication.  I am finding documents about vSphere Replication with versions of 5 and up, and I downloaded SRM and the iso of the vSphere replication 6.0 (and also 6.1 because after going to 6 I may try to upgrade one more time).

However I am finding difficulty to figure out my specific Migration path.  I'm on ESXi 5.0 and vSphere 5.0 in two sites and both sites have two VM's.

vSphere Replication Management Server (VRMS) - Version 1.0.3.0 Build 1344434

vSphere Replication Server - Version 1.0.3.4117 Build 1344436

I keep seeing references to vSphere Replication "Appliance" so I'm not even sure I'm using the same or current technology that would be compatible with vSphere / ESXi / SRM 6+.

Any pointers or links that could help me figure out this migration path?

Currently I have the vCenter server restored in its own isolated network and have tested upgrades.  I'm at the SRM part which complains "The version of vSphere Replication installed with this vCenter Server instance is incompatible with this version of Site Recovery Manager."  Of course I don't think I can continue in this sandbox environment because its isolated and does not have real ESXi hosts connected or vSphere Replication.  I just think I may be now at a point where I can start to do this in live as long as all my ducks are in a row.  I'd like to minimize replication downtime as much as possible between two sites, so if I can migrate smoothly I can keep the VM changes to be transmitted over the WAN down.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

When looking at upgrading I would highly recommend using the documentation. There are detailed instructions for how to upgrade components and the sequencing required for success. Specifically I recommend:

Upgrade sequence: VMware KB: Update sequence for vSphere 6.0 and its compatible VMware products

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

Site Recovery Manager 6.1 Documentation Center

VMware vSphere Replication 6.1 Documentation Center

VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes‌     - this shows that you need to go from 5.0 > 5.5 > 6.0 > 6.1

Keep in mind that SRM 6.1 will work with ESXi 5.0 hosts. I would recommend upgrading them but it isn't immediately required. The main things you need to think about are the vCenter Server, SRM Server and VR appliances (also referred to as VRS & VRMS)

0 Kudos