VMware Edu & Cert Community
mamoth100
Contributor
Contributor

VCAP Training Question

In the last few years, VMware has recommended the VMware course "Optimize and Scale". It now appears that VMware is recommending "Design and Deploy" with a prereq of "Optimize and Scale". I also notice there is a 5 day troubleshooting course.

I'm curious if the change of heart for VMware from the "Optimize and Scale" course to the "Design and Deploy".

A couple questions:

1. Is the VCAP now more focused around "Design and Deploy" or both "Optimize and Scale" and "Design and Deploy"?

2. Is the troubleshooting course beneficial for the VCAP?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

1. Is the VCAP now more focused around "Design and Deploy" or both "Optimize and Scale" and "Design and Deploy"?

2. Is the troubleshooting course beneficial for the VCAP?

Design and Deploy, is one course talks about vSphere virtualised environment Design aspects (going to be helpful in VCAP6-DCV Design Exam) and also talks about Deploy aspect (VCAP6-DCV Deploy aka Lab exam). But then along with that Performance related monitoring, troubleshooting and fine tuning is discussed more in depth in Optimise and Scale course and Troubleshooting Workshop is mainly focused towards Configuration related problems and troubleshooting of it.

In short, I would say if you are getting trainings sponsored by your employer, try to opt for all the courses, it will be a great help while doing your Lab Exam and Desing Exam both. but if you are paying on your own, then try to take as many courses as possible. Make sure that you meet pre-requisites so that while attending courses you don't struggle too much understanding content.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

They now recommend the ICM class for the vSphere Foundations exam, and the O&S class for the VCP6-DCV exam - those new to VCP6-DCV have to pass both exams. So in theory a VCP should have some O&S knowledge before they move up to a VCAP.

As you know there are 2 VCAPs, but your questions make me think you're asking about VCAP6-DCV Deploy rather than VCAP6-DCV Design.

O&S knowledge will still help towards the 3V0-623 exam, as would knowledge from the TS class, but yes they are recommending the D&D FT class (for either the Deploy or Design VCAP exams).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos