VMware Cloud Community
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor

Troubleshoot ESXi 6 networking?

I have a server running ESXi6  It has a working network connection.  It also has a second Ethernet port that's connected to a switch, and that switchport is supposedly good.  In ESXi, that switchport is connected to a vswitch which is connected to an interface on a VM which is numbered in the subnet the physical switchport is supposedly configured with.  That VM cannot ping it's gateway.  The network folks say their config is good and the problem is on my side.  In VMware, the virtual networking stuff is all green, and I want to say the problem is on their side 🙂  Is there anything I can do to test on my side?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to determine what's wrong, some more details are required, like the physical switch port configuration, the vSwitch/port groups configuration, ... In case the physical switches support CDP you should see some settings when you click the speech bubble right to the vmnic. Do you see information about discovered IP addresses in the "Network Adapter" settings?

If you cannot get details from the network team, and you are sure that the virtual network configuration is correct, i.e. no typos in the VM's IP settings, correct VLAN ID on the port group (if any), you could setup another VM (even a Live Linux like Knoppix may do) on the same port group to see whether the two VMs are able to communicate.

André

0 Kudos
vLarus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First off try isolating the problem by using another VM and see if it can reach the gateway. Can the network team make the gateway pingable  (and routeable) from another network while troubleshooting?

Try troubleshooting this using a top down method.

First make sure the VM has the network card connected (marked connected) in its settings page.

Then make sure the OS is NOT configured for VLAN tagging.

Check the Portgroup the vmnic is configured for. Does it have the correct VLAN?

The ports of the physical switches, are they configured as a vLAG or an mLAG (do they share MAC address information). Do they have the correct VLAN trunking configured for the port it self. Is the MTU size consistent? How is the network configured? Does it use STP? Is the physical port on the switch configured for RSTP or as a end device (terminology differs).

Hope this helps.

vmice.net
0 Kudos