VMware Cloud Community
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are the API/command exposed by VIO Manager to Deploy Openstack

My objective is to fully automate the Open stack  deployment using PowerCLI/PyVMOMI or any other programming means.

Step 1. Auto Deployment of VIO (OMS) manager by OVF Tool (through PowerCLI). VIO (vApp) along with Openstack template is successfully deployed.

Step 2:Open Stack Deployment ,

VIO is a vApp and it register itself as an extension and also available as Plugin of VSphere Web Client. Manually VIO Web plugin can be used to deploy open stack. 

How to automate this ?

Neither any documentation/example nor any other source is found. How/whatr to use the extension services ?

Also went through VSpehere Web Services SDK especially about extension. It have info about Extension Manager and Extension But what /how to use these extensions?

Version Used VCSA 5.5      VIO 1.0.0

Extension MO

extensionList["org.os.vmw.plugin"]Server:https://VIO_IP:9443/osvmw
extensionList["com.vmware.openstack.ui"]Serrver "https://VIO_IP:8443/vio-plugin/openstack-plugin.zip"
extensionList["com.vmware.openstack.vcext.instance-b8"]Server:Unset

What are the role of these extension. What/HOW are the Rest API/WSDL /SOAP Schema to access the service on specified URL.

Or any other approach is available.

Any help/example in this regard will be great.

Regards

Rajeev Tomar.

6 Replies
rboswell
Contributor
Contributor

Rajeev,

This doesn't answer your specific question but we have already developed some Ansible automation that will deploy and configure not only VIO but also vCenter and NSX. I *believe* that the specific VIO code has been published to our Github repo at GitHub - vmware/chaperone but I'll double-check and get it pushed if not. We'd love to have more people play with it and let us know what they find, there are some gaps that we are actively working on trying to solve. Hope that helps.

rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks rboswell

In my humble view VmWare must /should have followed a single strategy to manage say Web Services Model. Can we do not manage VIO using same.

ALso on vio there are two webapps  oms and osvmw-server. But no info about that available.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Could you expand on what you mean by Web Services Model? Are you referring to RESTful APIs or something more?

Will take the details of your use case and will get APIs exposed for automation.

0 Kudos
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Arvind, It will be great help if any interface is exposed.

I was referring to the VMware® vSphere Web Services SDK 5.5. Sphere 5.5 Documentation Center

By going through the WebServices SDK documentation an understanding was built that this is a

1. language neutral interface
  2. Every functionality is exposed by  this architecture.
  3. Can be used even to manage extension as extension are also represented as objects in this architecture.

As I am progressing further products are wonderful and follows a diversified approach rather than unified or complimentary  approach and this makes DevOps or any other automation task more challenging. This challenge multiplies as lack of information.

NSX exposed Rest API but VIO  manager do not. What are the rest API , its structure ,how it maintains sessions.

Please excuse my ignorance, the main aim of Vpshere product is to easier IT management but by introducing too many interfaces/product/philosophy , management becomes too complicated.

Chaperone is the solution that is suggested ,not sure what ever we do through it whether I will reflect back (or what is the diff in this from other).  It has its own dependency (Ubuntu, Django,Ansible,other package,ssh keys , yaml ), how easier to plug it with other solution?

What is the use of PyVOmi if other product /extension services do not expose any interface.

I believe that if a task can be manually achieved through vCenter like VIO Manager Deployment and then Openstack Deployment.

Similarly the same task should be done using same entity (vCenter) using automation.

I request please at least provide help with the automation point of view. I will help in selecting appropriate environment selection.

Product              Automobility   Interface

NSX Manager   Deployment     PowerCLI, Web Services

NSX Manager   Configuration NSX Rest API

VIO                   Deployment     PowerCLI, Web Services

VIO                   Configuration  Not Available

OPen Stack      Deployment    Not Available (Other methods Ansible, Refer Open stack Deployment )

Please forgive my ignorance if I offended you in any manner. This is just what I feel now, may be it change.

Thanks Again.

0 Kudos
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI rboswell

Went through GitHub - vmware/chaperone and it further has dependency GitHub - vmware/ansible-module-chaperone.

But this GitHub - vmware/ansible-module-chaperone does not have any thing related to Open stack deployment.

@rboswell  VIO manager is already deployed, now I need to deploy open stack.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Rajeev

Understood your requirements. We will work on it as I mentioned above.

0 Kudos