It is not a bug.
It thick client you specify the sockets and cores per socket, so the software sums up the total vCPUs you get.
example: 2 sockets, 4 cores per socket= 8vCPUs.
In webclient you only have to specify you need 8vCPUs and how many cores per socket, it then calculates the number of sockets.
example: 8 CPU with 2 core per socket, so it will put them in 4 sockets.
Check the linked KB as well.
Ran into this today as well, and I agree with sdxsdx... seems like a bug to me.
Sockets vs. cores can affect the licensing for various products, and the web GUI shouldn't be making that decision for me.
This is an older thread but I thought I would update what I found. This socket report was the case with me as well and I had found that my VM was reporting its version was 8 and the other VMs are version 10. I have scheduled an upgrade of the VM compatibility.