VMware Communities
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Alternatives for VMware Workstation + 4k monitors

Guys, I've had my 4K monitors for quite some time now and since I've had it, I've always had issues with VM guests displaying very tiny. I've seen a number of "possible fixes" and none works. I've tried disabling scaling on vmware.exe, changing display settings in the VM, changing the VM settings, etc. Nothing works.

That being said, is there anything that I can do to fix this problem in other ways while not selling my 4k monitors or switching it to 1080p? Can I build an ESX server and use VMware Workstation to connect to it? Will that fix the guest or will it still adjust to my 4k monitor and screw up? Do VirtualBox VMs have this same problem? Does VMware Workstation running on top of Linux (as the host OS) cause the guests to have this same problem?

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile and doesn't look like a solution is nowhere near available. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,Thanks for using WS

We have supported 4K monitor since Workstation 12. Can you try with WS 12.1 to see if your problem is fixed.

You can use it for 30 days trial freely.

here is the download link:

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_pro/12_0

Thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
altjx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey there,

I'm using Workstation 12.1 already. Any suggestions on the VM guests though? Like their resolutions are extremely large and it makes it difficult to see inside of them?

0 Kudos
henkus123
Contributor
Contributor

‌supporting 4k is one thing. Getting a non sluggish vm is more like it. I have a xps 15 9550 with the highest specs. Still I cant run my win10 or any other vm without super sluggish gui's. Ive tried many configs and none seems to work. Is this going to be fixed in the next release? I sure hope so!

0 Kudos
frodo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Oh yes, if you are using a windows host, there is a known issue for this.

Hope it could be fixed soon.

For linux host, there is no such issue.

0 Kudos