VMware Communities
Lpxmaiden
Contributor
Contributor

Compact and Clean Up Disk doesn't work!

Hello !

When i want to do compact or clean up disk after 1 minute i getting this message always : VMware workstation has stopped working. This making me crazy.

I have almost 2tb .vmdk file i want to compact this vmdk but i always have this error message. By the way it's not encrypt vmdk file.

Can you help me ? Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a thought. Shrinking requires temporary additional free disk space to copy the .vmdk contents into a new file. Can you confirm that you have sufficient free disk space for this action?

Some more details would also be helpful. Please attach the VM's latest vmware.log file to a reply post. Maybe this will help.

André

0 Kudos
Lpxmaiden
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Andre. Firstly i appreciate for answer.

I have 4tb harddisk and 2tb harddisk and vmware files in 4tb harddisk. I have 1,56tb free space in 4tb hard disk and  in 957gb in 2tb hard disk free space available.

Maybe i can move files from 2tb and make him full free space but this little painful Smiley Happy

Also i want to talk about someting before this 2tb .vmdk.I haved 2.7 tb .vmdk but it's actually 2tb .vmdk when i want to compact or cleanup doesn't work.So i decided move files and make new vmdk so i thought compact will work  . I moved all files from 2.7tb vmdk and i maked new harddisk in vmware and i put all files in new hard disk. When i finished i tested and i disappointment..I will update vmware.log file.Thank you !

Enes.

0 Kudos
Lpxmaiden
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone there ! I need help guys .Please fix this problem .

Vmware pro 12.1.0 that's i am using.

0 Kudos
StevenShissler
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, curious if you ever figured out what was going on?

0 Kudos
Lpxmaiden
Contributor
Contributor

Start your Virtual Machine and go to which one to want to compact to disk Right click the Local Volume ( example : Local D )  > Properties > Tools > Optimize Select disk and analyze later optimize . I did it with vmware virtual machine but that didn't work for me contrary my host local disk usage space grew and i did not have any free space on my host disk .Then  I lost my files four times through this problem. Vmware really perfect application but this problem very big problem for me and i guess for many user they didn't give me any solution even reply.. if you like me a home user  , my advice use the hyperV i dont have any problem with it and compact working perfect everytime just dont forget to use optimize your disk as i said above ( if you need compact to your Vm ) . After that shut down Vm and start compact to your Vm and then perfect compact with no problem ! I hope you will save your files.Have a nice day.

0 Kudos