VMware Cloud Community
Angelwarrior201
Contributor
Contributor

Proper clean up of vm-tools

Hi

My vmware workstation was failing to the update vmtools from 10.0.1 to 10.0.5. So, I tried to uninstall the current vmware tools 10.0.1. After successfully uninstalling 10.0.1, I tried to install 10.0.5, but I was still getting an error(see the second snapshot). Now I am not even able install the existing 10.0.1 tools set. I think some thing has been corrupted during the un-install process.

Do we have any recommendation on how to clean up this ?

pastedImage_2.png

"There was a problem updating a software component. Try again later and if the problem persists, contact VMware Support or your system administrator."

pastedImage_3.png

2 Replies
Angelwarrior201
Contributor
Contributor

Now I remember, I forcefully ended the vmware-install.pl script after the un-install process. Is there a file, which I need to remove to stop checking for the old installation of vm-tools.?

0 Kudos
Angelwarrior201
Contributor
Contributor

I was not able to fix the second issue, but for the first issue the script was looking for a db file /etc/vmware-tools/locations. so I moved the /etc/vmware-tools and tried the installation of 10.0.1 again, and it went fine. Hope fully I restored my VM Linux, no problem until now.

For the second issue, of the not able to install vmware-tools 10.0.5, It think VMware can only tell what is happening.