VMware Cloud Community
cbreuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere replication with SRM ports

Hi,

I would like to confirm the ports used by vSphere replication and SRM for replication, i understand that replication happens directly between the protected sites ESXi host kernel and the remote sites Replication appliance. When i look at documentation i see that the suggested ports used for replication traffic is 31031 but when we look at our monitoring tool we see that the source port is 12198 /95/96/97 and the destination port is 31031.

I cant find any documentation relating to these 121xx source ports could someone confirm??

4 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Which version of VR are you using? If it is 5.8 or 6.0 then the ports are listed in this kb: VMware KB: Port Numbers that must be open for vSphere Replication 5.8.x and 6.0

Are you sure there isn't some kind of translation going on for the 121xx ports? Those are not used by VR.

0 Kudos
cbreuser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks mate,

I forgot to mention sorry, we are running SRM 6.0, i have reviewed all documentation and i know the ports which it should be using. It seems that the source port is dynamic and the destination port is fixed 31031.

There is nothing that should be translating the ports at the kernel no, its really strange... When using Zerto the ports observed between the 2 source and destination appliances are using port 4007 as expected

0 Kudos
vladeto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you sure on source ports? This is really strange a) to have range of ports from the source side, b) this range is not used from VR product.

Do you have some specific network configuration (LB, NAT rules, etc) that is in place and you see those ports as outbound due to this?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is how TCP/IP works - when you initiate a TCP connection the source port is randomly picked among the unused ports by the source TCP stack. It's only the destination port that matters.

Why do you expect source ports to be specific, as opposed to randomly assigned?

Regards,

Kalin