VMware Cloud Community
eric87m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Removed vCenter node still in System Configuration after removal

I switched my primary vCenter server from a Windows box to the Linux appliance. Everything got moved without issue, so then I ran the recommended cmsso-util unregister command pointed to the old server to be decommissioned, as mentioned here: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21067...

The old vCenter server was successfully removed from the list in vCenter Server Inventory, but when I go to Administration -> System Configuration -> Nodes, the old server is still listed as a node there. How can I remove it?

Also, when I go to Administration -> Users and Groups -> Users, when I look at the list of domains, I still see the old vCenter's Windows hostname listed there.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lppsc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

try this instead:

cd c:\program Files\wmware\vcenter server\vmdird

or

cd /usr/lib/vmware-vmdir/bin/

vdcleavefed -h <node.name> -u <username@domain> -w <password>

I found username without the domain worked on some stubborn stains (but I have one still to nuke).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
eric87m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Anyone? That old entry is annoying to look at.

0 Kudos
lppsc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

same problem here, my chi is not woo.

0 Kudos
eric87m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also tried running cmsso-util unregister from the new vCenter pointing to the old IP, and it would not go away.

0 Kudos
lppsc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

try this instead:

cd c:\program Files\wmware\vcenter server\vmdird

or

cd /usr/lib/vmware-vmdir/bin/

vdcleavefed -h <node.name> -u <username@domain> -w <password>

I found username without the domain worked on some stubborn stains (but I have one still to nuke).

0 Kudos
eric87m
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Leave federation cleanup done"

Whoo! Finally gone! Thank you! And like you said, I had to not include the domain for the command to run successfully

0 Kudos