VMware Cloud Community
Ernst1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

who can help me with "Insufficient resources to satisfy configured failover level for vSphere HA"

Hi everyone,

We have been trying to gif a server 14GB of ram and make a full reservation for it.
This is a server for exams and the supplier tells us to do so.

I can’t get more then 5500MB reservation on it, when I want more I get
“Insufficient resources to satisfy configured failover level for vSphere HA”.

We have:

2X ESXi 5.1 Hosts
Each host has
2 X Processors (8 Cores each) with HT enabled.
255,75 GB Ram

vSphere HA has been turned on.
Admission control policy is enabled and Failover Capacity is 1 host.

What is here the problem?

Thanks,
Ernst.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Admission control policy is all about giving you kind of guarantee that if host failure happens then there will be enough resources to perform successful failover.

in simple terms, it's about reserving failover resources.

I would recommend going through concept of vSphere HA, Adminission control policy on following document.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-availa...

Starting from Page number 22, details which you need to look into is given. Specially look into Slot Size calculations part of it.

in your case you have vSphere HA with number of host failure to tolerate as admission control policy set.

that means system is going to calculate CPU and Memory slots out of available resources in your cluster, and from those total number of slots, it will keep some resources as reserved for failover and remaining are going to be available to be used. All depends upon how many hosts failure that you want to tolerate.

now in your case, if you are trying to increase reservation of one of the VM, that will then affect the number of slots in your environment, and if reserved capacity for failover is being violated than system won't let you do what you want to do. Like power on a VM, or increasing reservation of a powered on VM etc.

if you find that you have enough resources in your cluster and due to some VMs having very big cpu or memory reservation, number of slots are less than you can still manage them by using certain advance configuration parameters in vSphere HA, but I would strongly recommend, try to take help from someone who has done it before.

also try to go through other Admission control policies which are explained in the document for more inputs.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What Admission control policy you are using, make sure you have enough resources if you are using this by %.

0 Kudos
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Admission control policy is all about giving you kind of guarantee that if host failure happens then there will be enough resources to perform successful failover.

in simple terms, it's about reserving failover resources.

I would recommend going through concept of vSphere HA, Adminission control policy on following document.

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-60/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-60-availa...

Starting from Page number 22, details which you need to look into is given. Specially look into Slot Size calculations part of it.

in your case you have vSphere HA with number of host failure to tolerate as admission control policy set.

that means system is going to calculate CPU and Memory slots out of available resources in your cluster, and from those total number of slots, it will keep some resources as reserved for failover and remaining are going to be available to be used. All depends upon how many hosts failure that you want to tolerate.

now in your case, if you are trying to increase reservation of one of the VM, that will then affect the number of slots in your environment, and if reserved capacity for failover is being violated than system won't let you do what you want to do. Like power on a VM, or increasing reservation of a powered on VM etc.

if you find that you have enough resources in your cluster and due to some VMs having very big cpu or memory reservation, number of slots are less than you can still manage them by using certain advance configuration parameters in vSphere HA, but I would strongly recommend, try to take help from someone who has done it before.

also try to go through other Admission control policies which are explained in the document for more inputs.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
Ernst1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are using the default one, not the % .

Thanks for reply!

0 Kudos
Ernst1970
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for you're reply.

I will take you're advise and ask our suppler for some help and i will read also the PDF you send me.

thank you very much!

greets,

Ernst.

0 Kudos
ankurgoyal01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

In my current scenario i figured out that there was CPU reservation configured on one of the VM.

Hence i amended the reservation by clicking on the below:

Right Click VM -> Edit Settings -> Resources -> CPU

There after i was able to migrate the machine.

Regards

Ankur

0 Kudos