VMware Cloud Community
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot remove datastore

Hi,

i have 3 production servers on ESXi 6.0 3073146 and VCSA 6.0 u1.

I have new storage with 2 LUN - R5 and R10 (RAID), soo i migrated all vms from old storage Dell MD to new storage. But ! i have one problem.

I have one vm, which is migrated from old SATA2 (name of datastore) to new DX100_R10.

In vcenter on summary tab of VM i see storage SATA2, but if i browse datastore SATA2 - sata2 is empty, any config file for my vm. Any connected .iso.

But, the most interesting think is, that if im connected directly to esxi host, where is my problematic vm i see only correct datastore DX100R_10

So i unmounted old datatore SATA2 from all of 3 hosts, now i cannot delete it !

err is: The resource xxx is in use.

I tryed:

restart vcenter - same problem.

remove all 3 hosts from vcenter and add it to vcenter - same

8 Replies
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Use the following KB article to restart the management agents on your hosts.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10034...

Be sure to go into HA and turn off host monitoring before you restart the agents or vCenter will think the host failed.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20335...

Doug

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

if im connected to vcenter and i go to the inventory>datastores i see old SATA2, but no actions available, no unmount, no delete...

so on all 3 host i see only  new storage, whitch is correct. but i see old storage in vcenter

storage-1.JPGstorage-2.JPG

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is it like that on all hosts? Can you SSH into the hosts and run ESXCLI storage list?

Is it possible to re-add the datastore and try removing it cleanly?

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All 3 host see only R5 and R10 ( + one host see his own local storage ) Smiley Happy  checked via ssh

i think, that problem is in the vcenter, so i restarted it, but same situation.

When im on the Datacenter - Datastores: 4

When im on the Cluster - Total Datastores: 3

I re-add the datastore and remove it - no problem here, but old i "shortcut" in vcenter still exist.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That is genuinely odd.

ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Does the VM that you moved have a snapshot in place? Was it possible that you had a ISO connected at the time you created the snapshot?

If this is the case then the Snapshot will be aware of this in case you want to revert.

If not the ignore the ramblings 🙂

Kind regards.

-- updated spelling mistake in post --

TomKalabis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hahaha.

It WAS SNAPSHOT !!! :smileylaugh::smileylaugh:

thx

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi TomKalabis,

No worries and all. Happy to help - don't forget to mark any answers you found helpful or correct as such Smiley Happy

Have a great day.

0 Kudos