VMware Horizon Community
NWCJared
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Application Crashes

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB x64 with Office 2016 x64 running on Horizon View 6.2.0 with agent version 6.2.0.7272. All our users and in this case test users login with CAC/Smart Cards, so during the initial agent install we enabled the PCoIP Smart Card install within the base image we will be using. Rolled out a pool of about a dozen machines, had a few users test the Windows 10 image for feedback...they were able to login perfectly fine with their CAC cards, but every user who tried to launch IE 11 or Word crashed instantly for all test users. Below are the Application Error logs, looks like the vmwsci.dll was the faulting module which caused the application to crash. So I tested a new pool without the PCoIP Smart Card software and was then able to launch Word with no issues but IE still have the same fault/crash. Any ideas?

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 11.0.10240.16603, time stamp: 0x5655348c

Faulting module name: vmwsci.dll_unloaded, version: 6.2.0.7272, time stamp: 0x56b0aac5

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00006210

Faulting process id: 0xa14

Faulting application start time: 0x01d16e6a9a1ee71a

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Faulting module path: vmwsci.dll

Report Id: 690c31d0-2c1f-492a-ab8b-ef897aceac2b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: WINWORD.EXE, version: 16.0.4339.1000, time stamp: 0x56950f24

Faulting module name: vmwsci.dll_unloaded, version: 6.2.0.7272, time stamp: 0x56b0ac6b

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000075e0

Faulting process id: 0x5d8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d16e6a73afb492

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16\WINWORD.EXE

Faulting module path: vmwsci.dll

Report Id: ffad575e-5160-455b-8d50-6e614faebb84

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NWCJared
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the problem, EMET 5.5 crippled the PCoIP smart card interceptor (vmwsci.dll) which was part of IE and Word. Uninstalled EMET and everything was fine all apps load without issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So, I have been experiencing issues with some applications using the newer agents. Specifically apps crashing. Just for testing purposes, do you have a physical windows machine that is setup the same way you can test with? I would recommend installing the agent on the physical machine and seeing if the application still crashes. If it does, open a support request. After you install the agent, if the issue is related to the agent, you should see the apps crash locally.

Java apps crash

You should also be able to see the apps crash by logging into your master image.

Doug

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
NWCJared
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The apps don't crash when trying to open them on the master image where the agent is installed....its only when the floating pool is deployed.

0 Kudos
douglasarcidino
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Doesn't appear to be the same issue then.

If you found this reply helpful, please mark as answer VCP-DCV 4/5/6 VCP-DTM 5/6
0 Kudos
NWCJared
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found the problem, EMET 5.5 crippled the PCoIP smart card interceptor (vmwsci.dll) which was part of IE and Word. Uninstalled EMET and everything was fine all apps load without issue.

0 Kudos
Totie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I concur, removing EMET permits application to launch.  Even with the latest View Agent 7.1 and EMET 5.52, they still do not play well.  I get the same event logs as others but nothing that points to EMET as the culprit.  The work around that I use before is to to point registry to c:\windows\syswow32\vmwsci.dll, however it is not good because even though they permit the applications to launch they break smartcard passthrough functionality.  Need help too, DOD needs both smartcard and EMET functionality, they are not optional, they are both mandatory.

0 Kudos
DumbUsername
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Totie,

Until Microsoft/VMware fixes this, I was able to work around this by disabling EAF for iexplore.exe. In the GPO with EMET settings, do the following. I had to take similar actions for other browsers and Office apps.

1. On your desktop, browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EMET\Defaults
    2. *\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe shows

+EAF+ eaf_modules:mshtml.dll;flash*.ocx;jscript*.dll;vbscript.dll;vgx.dll +ASR asr_modules:npjpi*.dll;jp2iexp.dll;vgx.dll;msxml4*.dll;wshom.ocx;scrrun.dll;vbscript.dll asr_zones:1;2

3. In applicable GPO, browse to Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\EMET
    4. Open Application Configuration
    5. Click Show
    6. Enter *\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe into Value name
    7. Enter the following in Value

-EAF +EAF+ eaf_modules:mshtml.dll;flash*.ocx;jscript*.dll;vbscript.dll;vgx.dll +ASR
      asr_modules:npjpi*.dll;jp2iexp.dll;vgx.dll;msxml4*.dll;wshom.ocx;scrrun.dll;vbscript.dll asr_zones:1;2

8. Click OK twice
    9. Close GPO
    10. Once GPO applies on desktop, browse to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EMET\AppSettings
    11. You will see -EAF for iexplore.exe
    12. Open Internet Explorer

0 Kudos