VMware Cloud Community
scale21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMUG EVALExperience licensing and VSAN

I am about to purchase the vmug eval licensing but want to check to make sure i will be able to use vsan in full with the licenses provided.

My lab has 3 hosts

2 machines have dual cpu xeons

1 machine has a single cpu

That leaves me with 5 cpus in my cluster. Will i be ok here to run and test VSAN in my lab?

I have found alot of conversations about licensing confusion and VSAN with this evalexperience.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zdickinson
Expert
Expert

Good evening, you should get a license that will cover 4, 2 socket hosts.  As you pointed out, there has been some confusion about this before.

VSAN & VMUG Advantage EVALExperience licensing

Thank you, Zach.

0 Kudos
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm still talking with VMUG support regarding VSAN licensing as whilst I have been issued a key, it does NOT cover All-Flash, only hybrid. I have followed up with them to find out why this has been the case as it does limit testing opportunities, particularly in light of the 6.2 release where dedupe/compression and erasure coding are only possible on All-Flash deployments.

As soon as I hear back I'll update, but if anyone else has been successful in getting an All-flash key as part of their subscription it would be good to hear back.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey,

This sounds like a mistake. I'll reach out the VMUG management to make sure you get the VSAN ADV license (as do all other VMUG members), and for once the 6.2 license is live we we'll update that to VSAN ENT.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best,

Rafael

0 Kudos
alienjoker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rafael,

Im not having much luck with VMUG via email (lack of response) so wondered if you have had any luck? Im getting dangerously close to my 60 day eval ending. My lab is sat on an all flash VSAN and I have my DTM exam coming up soon and without the lab it sets back my learning opportunities.

Best regards

Andrew

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hey Andrew,

can you email me at kabesar@vmware.com? Let me know what was you support case number or any other information so I can get the VMUG team attention to it.

Thanks,

Rafael

0 Kudos