VMware Cloud Community
elermen
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Replication through WAN

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the variables involved in a vSphere Replication between sites through a WAN link and if is there a better way to estimate the data transfer speed.

Here are what I know, so far, based on research and previews replication tests:

• Bandwidth consumed by vSphere Replication depends on the number of virtual machines being replicated
    • The transfer speed can be affect by:
      • Available bandwidth between sites
      • Latency
      • Virtual machine file system and operation system

Below are the scenario and the results I got from a previews replication test

• Number of virtual machines being replicated: 11
    • Available bandwidth: 150Mbps
    • Maximum bandwidth usage: 95Mbps
    • Latency: 197ms
    • Amount of data (used disk): 255GB
    • Time to complete all initial synchronization: 22h

The data transfer speed was approximately 11GB/h

graph.jpg

Note:

• After 22:00 (10 pm) only one virtual machine had not completed the initial synchronization.
    • This virtual machine took more twelve hours to finished.
    • It is a Linux virtual machine with CentOS and EXT3 file system

Any comments or shared experience will be appreciated.

Thanks

Everton   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Have you looked at the the VR bandwidth calculator? http://www.vmware.com/vrcalculator

You can also look at the VMware Labs Replication Capacity Planning Appliance: https://labs.vmware.com/flings/vsphere-replication-capacity-planning-appliance as a way of determining bandwidth needs.

The best way to determine data transfer speeds would be to run actual replications as you have. Make sure that you look at both the initial full sync and the ongoing transfers.

0 Kudos
elermen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks gs_khalsa

Yes, I used the VR bandwidth calculator, but it didn't provide the information that I'm looking for.

I'll test the appliance that you recommended and compare the results with my actual replication.

I'm trying to understand if the numbers that I got (bandwidth utilization, data transfer speed, time to complete a initial synchronization...) are accurate/expected for my scenario and, if it is not, what may I need to looking for to adjust/improve that.

0 Kudos