VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi 5.1 add partition

Hi,

I have 2x 1TB HDD's set to RAID 1 in an HP Microserver however I cannot find out how to add partitions as currently am using only one of 500GB and another one of 20GB.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

This does not look like a Raid1 - not at all. At the moment you have one 500gb datastore on one disk and a 20gb datastore on the other disk.
Probably this is a fake Raid-controller not supported by ESXi.
If you want to keep this setup as it is you could create a 900gb partition on each disk. But of course then you have no protection against disk failures.
At the moment you can not add VMFS-partitions because the GUI only allows one VMFS-partition per disk.
I would move everything from the 20gb vmfs to the 500gb vmfs and then delete the 20gb volume and create a new volume filling the whole second disk.
Then do the same for the first disk.
Alternatively you could expand both volumes - its a matter of taste (I dont like expanded VMFS-volumes)

andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ok so this is interesting and worrying at the same time - I was pretty sure I selected RAID 1 and believe it still says so in the RAID setup on startup (although I cannot confirm right now).

The ESXi 5.1 Update 2 used is an HP official custom image so assume it would have all features such as RAID of the HP Microserver Gen7 N54L fully supported.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=HP-ESXI-5.1.0U2-GA-JAN2014&productId=285

Having said this I will think about it as best option might be to move the VM's to another server and try to rebuild the RAID array to ensure this is really providing the fault tolerance expected.

Thanks

0 Kudos