VMware Cloud Community
hughesr9
Contributor
Contributor

Attempt to destroy a VM fails

Hi,

I am using vCD 5.5 as an endpoint to vRA 7. I have created a blueprint to standup a Centos 7 OS vApp template. This works fine and the new VM is created and started.

However when I try to destroy the VM from vRA the request fails with these errors in the catalina.log file:

"Error in deallocating machine ApiClientException ..."

"Exception thrown for IaaS endpoint https://win-iaas.dev.com/WAPI"

"Machine is not in a valid state to be deallocated."

I have deleted the VM and the vApp from vCD, but vRA still thinks it exists and is running. Is there a way to tify this up and release the resources from vRA?

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey I have the same problem with vRA 7.0.1 and some machines deployed into vCenter.

The problem in my case is the state of the machine. If the machine is fully deployed you can get rid of it, but mine for example never fully deployed (for whatever reason) and is now in status "Requested".

If in this state it cannot be destroyed and I'm stuck with the VM.

Obviously i could remove it via cloudclient, trash from DB. But need a proper solution for that, so have to escalate to VMware when I get around it

Kalli

0 Kudos
Craig_G2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hey kallischlauch,

Did you manage to find out any more information about this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
kallischlauch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Heya,

essentially at that time I tried with the cloud client, but even then it did not work.

I then had to go into the SQL DB and change the state of the machine to somethign differrent. for example 'off'. then I was able to delete it.

Since I upgraded to 7.1 I don't see that problem anymore. my workflows are more stable and so is vRA. Also I found in 7.1 I have a  lot less problems with destroying machines or inconsistencies. Seems VMware cleaned up a bit.

I did escalate it to VMware in the past, but they could only help me to remove the VM (as stated modified the state, then deleted)

0 Kudos
Craig_G2
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ok thanks! I'm glad that 7.1 is on my customers road map then!

0 Kudos