VMware Cloud Community
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LogInsight and vCenter with 2 Worker Nodes -- nothing logged

Hello

I have configured vSphere integration and it's successfully sending data to Log Insight.

When I add 2 Worker Nodes data stops flowing and "Last Received Event" in "Hosts" keeps going up. I tried disabling/enabling ILB as well as well as re-do adding the vCenter Server.

When I remove the 2 Worker Nodes and re-do adding the vCenter Server data comes back again (/storage/var/loginsight/plugins/ log file is populated with connected/disconnected text).

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For some reason I believe it has to do with the custom certificate I created..

I created it with the DNS/FQDN of all 3 appliances, Master NOde/Worker Nodes in the subject alternate name, and the IP of the ILB as the common name.

Maybe it has to be different?

Is it possible to recreate a self signed certificate to replace it with to test my theory? I don't wanna roll out new appliances..

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the Reset to Defaults link on the admin/ssl page to revert to a self-signed certificate. If your theory is correct we have a bug. Please let me know!

0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah Ok. I actually tried with Mr Flanders' script and I now have data flowing to the vCenter again. Will try to make another certificate to test this again.

Can you confirm that I should have these values in the custom certificate:

Subject alt name: FQDN-node x, FQDN-node x+1, FQDN-node x+2..

Common name: IP of Load Balancer if this is to be used. What is it supposed to be if not? The Master's hostname?

0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using a custom cert also disconnects the LogInsight Agent of vROps-nodes being monitored with the Content Pack it seems.. But maybe I am doing something funky with the cert. It's the latest Log Insight (3.0) and vROps (6.2)
0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Best information on the certificate process can be found here: Install a Custom SSL Certificate by Using the vRealize Log Insight Web Interface

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah.

Wait. Supposing I have 3 nodes, should I log on to each one of them to upload the certificate? Is it not enough to do it on the Master Node and it replicates? Oh...

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Which LI version? 2.5 or older you must do each node manually, 3.0 doing from VIP will take care of cluster.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's 3.0.0-3021606

OK then. I have just uploaded it from the master/whatever ILB chooses.

Really not sure what I'm doing wrong, I followed http://www.definit.co.uk/2015/02/creating-a-vrealize-log-insight-2-5-cluster-with-integrated-load-ba... to the letter.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Try this:
1. Remove vSphere integration
2. Turn off the ILB
3. Add vSphere integration

Does it work now? If so, I will work on getting you a better workaround.

0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pretty sure I tried this a lot before I understood it had to do with certificates, but I'll try again over the weekend. Thanks again
0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I encountered a bug or something from the following scenario:

Self signed certificate after install -> wrong custom certificate (no ILB ip in CN) -> correct custom certificate. After I reset to self signed and installede the correct custom certificate and restarted the appliances everything seems to be working in both dev environments..

Can be set to ANSWERED.

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

Awesome! You should see an answer button at the top (if not try a different browser)

0 Kudos