VMware {code} Community
rathi27akash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A need to cache Custom Data for plugin

hi,

we are developing a plugin which is going to use custom objects(not from ESXI/vCenter). So i want to understand is their some way to store the data in vcenter/ Virgo server(where the plugin will sit).Also is their some recommended way for extending Custom Objects.

Rathi.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, you cannot use Web Client server or vCenter as your own database or storage server.  Since you are using custom objects you must provide your own back-end process/database where that data resides.  The java plugin you are adding to access get that data in the Virgo middle tier is just a "pass-through", i.e. your data adapter must be capable of fetching your custom data from your own back-end (using whatever API or communication protocol is most suited for you)

The main reason the current Chassis sample code uses an in-memory object store is to simplify the SDK setup.  As the header say in ObjectStore.java this is not the correct way to handle data in a production application.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
laurentsd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

No, you cannot use Web Client server or vCenter as your own database or storage server.  Since you are using custom objects you must provide your own back-end process/database where that data resides.  The java plugin you are adding to access get that data in the Virgo middle tier is just a "pass-through", i.e. your data adapter must be capable of fetching your custom data from your own back-end (using whatever API or communication protocol is most suited for you)

The main reason the current Chassis sample code uses an in-memory object store is to simplify the SDK setup.  As the header say in ObjectStore.java this is not the correct way to handle data in a production application.

0 Kudos
rathi27akash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks laurentsd for quick reply.  🙂 🙂 . It clearifies my doubt.
Rathi.
0 Kudos