VMware Cloud Community
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

How does vrops get OS data

Can anyone tell me how vROPs gets the os specific data (OS Type, build etc) from standard windows VMs. Does it tell the tools to do WMI queries and if so what is the interval or is it some other way.

We are getting "vmStatsProvider" is successfully initialized for this Virtual Machine. WMI namespace: "root\cimv2" in the event log and want to rule in or out vrops

I am running vsphere 5.5u3 and vROPS 6.1 (no EPO installed in the vms)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

GuestOS data is pulled via VMTools and stored within vCenter. This happens by default with or without vR Ops in the picture. However, if you use the EndPoint Operations agent, you'd get OS data in addition to that of VMTools by means of the agent > vR Ops connectivity.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

This is more of a VMTools question than a vR Ops one. VMTools reports it's data back to vSphere, and subsequently vCenter, where it is picked up by vR Ops. I'd suggest hitting the VMTools forum for a more direct channel to those SMEs.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks for the update Mark. I understand some of the data will be pulled from the vcenter but want about data that is not available like guest file system free/used space and such how does vrops get this data
0 Kudos
mark_j
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

GuestOS data is pulled via VMTools and stored within vCenter. This happens by default with or without vR Ops in the picture. However, if you use the EndPoint Operations agent, you'd get OS data in addition to that of VMTools by means of the agent > vR Ops connectivity.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Thanks Mark

0 Kudos