VMware Communities
UAcasper
Contributor
Contributor

Video errors in Workstation 11

I'm running Win7 X64 inside Workstation Pro 11 (v11.1.3 build-3206955) on a Win10 Enterprise system.  In the last two weeks, I have had an odd video problem that forces me to restart (often ungracefully).  I will be typing along doing nothing weird, and suddenly, the text won't appear any longer.  The cursor still moves, but no text is visible.  I can move the mouse cursor around, but as soon as I click on any menu or window, there are refresh issues.  Some elements come to the front, some do not.  Some elements become black.  No menu is ever visible, but they are working.  I can use either the mouse or the keyboard to make commands in menus or windows, but I cannot see what I am selecting.  The screen may as well be blank even though it is showing some pieces of what was the screen.  For example, thus far, the clock has always been visible, but it does not update.

It looks like a video problem, but AFAIK, I have the latest VMWare tools (v9.9.4, Build-3193940) installed.  There are zero entries in the system logs related to anything at the time of the failure. My other VMs continue to run as if nothing happened. 

How can I fix or even troubleshoot what is going on? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chickgreen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this will sound bogus, but...  Try turning off the 3D support in the display settings of the virtual machine.  I've noticed that there are some (not all) applications which will not run properly for me with the 3D acceleration turned on.  My system is Win10 guest over Ubuntu 15.10 host, VMWare 12.1

0 Kudos