VMware Cloud Community
sbrown25
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic Upgrade of VMware Tools fails on SLES 11 SP3

We have just completed an upgrade of our environment to vSphere 6.0 and are now attempting to push an automated installation of the latest VMware Tools to all of our VMs.  This works just fine on Windows VMs (though a reboot is required).  However on all of our Linux systems, the installation fails with the following:

ERROR: "/sbin/mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-3.0.93-0.8-default -i initrd-3.0.93-0.8-default" exited with non-zero status.

Your system currently may not have a functioning init image and may not boot properly.  DO NOT REBOOT!  Please ensure that you have enough free space available in your /boot directory and run this command: "/sbin/mkinitrd -k vmlinuz-3.0.93-0.8-default -i initrd-3.0.93-0.8-default" again.

Execution aborted.

Our /boot partition has ~250Mb free on it.  Upon further examination, this kernel does not exist on our VMs:

# ls /boot/vmlinuz-*

/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.101-0.47.67-default

We are able to perform manual upgrades of VMware Tools just fine on the same machines; just not automated ones.

So how is it that the installation script arrives at the decision to attempt to create an initrd image for a kernel that doesn't exist?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AndyH2O
Contributor
Contributor

For information.

I have the same error message on SLES 11 SP4 when running a manual install.  The error occurs the first time the install is run, on retrying the install the error doesn't occur.

I have done no further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos