VMware Communities
danietec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation host can't connect to Outside SAN for Clustering

My gold is for my workstation host to reach the outside network to the SAN, I'm using StarWind  for clustering. Yes, I’m talking Bridging to the physical Ethernet port to get outside.

Setup: I have one white-box with Workststion11 that’s hosting one DNS, AD server with two ESXI servers. DNS is working and I can resolve IP to namespace vice versa and no need for DHCP,he server has vShpere Clients that works. Workstation gave all IPs out later turned to static.

Network IP: Everything is on the same 192.168.10.X network and is as follows.

• DNS server .120
  • ESX1 .128
  • ESX2 .129
  • SAN  .121 Passive switch

Problem Facts:

• From my physical PC that VMworkstation has can ping all internal VMs and can ping each other.
  • If I set all internal VMs to  NAT to share Host IP address I get “destination host unreachable” but 0% loss. I think that’s good. 
  • If I set all internal VMs to Bridge VMnet0 default they can pin each other with in the network but can’t ping out still.
  • Yes, the physical PC that hosting the VMs can ping the SAN.

I think it’s a NAT issue.

A big thanks in advance

4 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The DNS server, ESX1 and ESX2 are all VMs located on the same host, and SAN locate at outside network, right ?

If you set all internal VMs to Bridge VMnet0, the physical PC and VMs can ping each other?

0 Kudos
danietec
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did just that as you said but what solved it was to backup all VMs and reinstall Station. Weird huh.

!

Thanks for the help

Anton_Kolomyeyt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well at least it worked Smiley Happy Congrats !!

0 Kudos
NetxRunner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

It seems that I had the similar issue before.  And if my memory serves me right, it was solved by disabling the firewall on each VM and host as well. Also you can ask for help at the specific places like StarWind support forum: https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/

There are a lot of experienced users which, even more, are familiar with the soft you are running.

0 Kudos