VMware Cloud Community
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not able to collect vCenter alarms/tasks/events

Hi

I have a Log Insight 3.0 and vCenter Server 5.5 U2b environment set-up.

I created a clone of Read-Only and added the following permissions:

Global.Licenses

Global.SetCustomField

Host.Config.AdvancedConfig

Host.Config.NetService

Host.Config.Network

Host.Config.Settings

System.Anonymous

System.Read

System.View

This role is Propagated from the Datacenters (top-level) and connected to an AD user account.

When I integrate Log Insight with my vCenter everything checks out and it's saved correctly from the Administration tab for the particular vCenter Server (collect vCenter Server events, tasks and alarms is checked), but nothing ever shows up in vCenter Alarms / tasks despite there being a lot of stuff from at least a month back. I use a custom range that should be sufficient.

I tried the same in our development environment with an Administrator privileged account and this works fine, I get a lot of vCenter Alarms and whatnot in the dashboards. However, I want to use the least amount of permissions if possible.

Am I missing a permission/privilege? Is there a log file that I can check for errors/warnings?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can be set to ANSWERED.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sflanders
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I suspect the vSphere permissions changed (again). I am testing again and will let you know what is required.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

They must definitely have changed. Not sure what else to try to add to keep it to the minimum of what is required. Any updates?

0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This turned out to be my own fault.

My dev environment is quite small and few alarms are being generated. I thought Log Insight would look back in time, ie. before integration between vSphere and Log Insight was in place, but that's of course not how a syslog/log accumulator tool works.. so I created some dummy alarms and they poured in, of course.

Thanks Steve

0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can be set to ANSWERED.
0 Kudos
erikjohnsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution