VMware Cloud Community
jdhthegr8
Contributor
Contributor

32 bit VMWare installer says I need a 64 bit CPU

Hello all, I have an older computer that I am trying to install VMWare on. It uses Lubuntu with Wily Werewolf 15.10. I selected the VMWare 10.0 32-bit installer for linux and downloaded the file (VMware-Workstation-Full-10.0.0-1295980.i386.bundle). But when I go to the directory and attempt to run it through the terminal, I get a prompt in a pop-up installer window that says "One or more of your processors does not have the necessary 64-bit extensions to run VMWare virtual machines". The processor is an Intel Pentium 4, which I am aware is 32-bit, but why is the 32-bit installer telling me I need 64-bit hardware? Would trying an older version of VMWare fix this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

IIRC Workstation 7/Player 3 were the last versions to support 32-bit CPUs.

André

0 Kudos
jdhthegr8
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, odd that they would still offer "32 bit" versions of the later ones, but either way that should work for me. Appreciate the response!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

There's a difference between a 32-bit CPU and a 32-bit Host OS. While version 8 and newer require a 64-bit CPU, the software itself is available for 32-bit Host operating systems up to version 10.

André

0 Kudos