VMware Edu & Cert Community
frostyk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Homelab - ESXi 6 on Dell Precision 3500?

So I'm setting up a home lab and I don't want the noise/heat/power use of a rack mount server.  I also don't want to spend a lot of money.  It doesn't have to be fast, it just has to work.  Has anyone tried to install ESXi 6 on a Dell Precision (3500 or otherwise).  These are crazy cheap on ebay and can be loaded up with a 6 core processor and cheap RAM.  I know the drivers wont be in the VIB from dell since these aren't on the hardware comparability guide, but just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it wont work.  Anyone get this kind of unsupported install working?  In my professional life I've never tried to install on unsupported hardware and have always had an appropriate VIB.  I've never had to mess around with loading customer drivers or making my own VIB.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why not build a virtual lab on the same system?

That way you'd only need a local Windows or Linux OS, with VMware Workstation or Player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kamuthiking
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI

I have tried  on dell workstation and tested that worked fine .Downloaded the VIB from the below link

VMware ESXi 5.x onto a Dell OptiPlex 9020 (Intel I217-LM) | ComputerComputerComputer

Or you can use vm workstation too

Regards

Raja

0 Kudos