VMware Communities
ddtemplar
Contributor
Contributor

Frequency System Crash on Starting a VM (Workstation Pro 12, Windows 10)

I am using Workstation Pro 12 and Windows 10 (both fully updated).  Often I get a full system lock on starting a VM.  Occasionally the system eventually produces a kernel crash (blue-screen) report, other times a hard reset is required. Other times the VM starts without issue.  If it starts than it is smooth sailing.

Is this a known issue?  I am unable to use VMWare because of this issue.

8 Replies
PeterEvans59
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep I have experienced the same behavior (Workstation Pro 12.1 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1511).

What I found was that not all VMware services get started at boot (behavior is random).  Which will either produce a BSOD or a total system hang.

Also found that occasionally, vmnetdhcp.exe stops working.

The only way I have found to work around this problem is:

- after boot; or

- after some VMware service suddenly stops

Run Virtual Network Editor:

- click on change settings

- select restore defaults

This then runs and resets the various VMware services, I can then run VMs

Hopefully, VMware can fix this major issue ASAP in an update to 12.1

ddtemplar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Do you know if VMWare staff monitor the forums, or a way to contact them about this issue?

It seems you need to be a customer to place a ticket, but I only have an academic key.

0 Kudos
CaShc0w
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware engineers are monitoring this community.

They will open product bug if they can reproduce your issue on their setup.

And if you can provide more details, like:

1. logs mentioned in "About VMware Workstation" dialog (click menu "Help" > "About VMware Workstation")

2. Collected support data (click menu "Help" > "Support" > "Collect Support Data...")

3. Crash dump files

They may also file bug for the issue.

0 Kudos
ddtemplar
Contributor
Contributor

I can't seem to find anything useful, although this may be because it is hard locking.  I just see logs confirming a startup after an unclean shutdown.

I can provide additional information or try to reproduce the specific condition if a VMWare representative needs it.

Thanks for the information!

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, ddtemplar:

Would you please upload the "Collected support data" and the windows dump files ? Thank you very much

0 Kudos
ddtemplar
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.  I am not sure how exactly to find/capture the windows dump files.

When it occurs, the blue-screen error is "Clock Watchdog Timeout".

I have found a similar posting: Windows 10 ver 1511 BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout Error Vmware Workstation 12.1

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Would you please check if there are any dump file in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder ? If yes, would you please upload the files ? You can refer the following link for the windows dump file info:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/blue-screen-of-death-bsod/1939df35...

Windows 10 Forums

0 Kudos
lsv20
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any updates on this issue?

0 Kudos