VMware Performance Community
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Invalid Resources causing tests to be non compliant

Greetings once again VMmark Team!

I have had several successful runs only to have them be "Not_Compliant".  I do receive an error that requires and acknowledgment about invalid resources, which I can acknowledge and the test will complete successfully with no errors stated.

I have attached the ClusterVMapping.txt file and the ,html file of the results and ratios.

Ideas?

Also, do I need to remove a comments in the for the DVDstores to get information for them?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

James,

Here is the issue I am having with the DeployVM.

I have verified that I have a SignedOff.ini file and I have verified that in my Customization Specification I have included the Run Once command.  I have verified that the password is set to the identical value in the template and CS.

The VM will deploy using the Customization Specification from the template.  While monitoring the VM it comes up initially with a "password incorrect" error and then reboots twice and completes the customization.  When it comes back that final time I have the same error of "password incorrect".  However, if I type in the password, it logs in and STAF starts in the background. This allows for a successful STAF ping.  If the system does not login automatically then STAF will never start and a STAF Ping is unable to take place.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thought I may have solved it but negative.  This VMware environment was configured prior and I did not check the HA status.  I turned HA off and made sure the settings were correct based on the Benchmark guide.  I re-ran the tile in TurboMode but still come up with the same error of Invalid Resources.  There are no resource pools or resource constraints.  Everything is set to unlimited.  I will upload the results of the TurboMode test when it is complete.

0 Kudos
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

File is too large to upload.  Going to turn reporting off, debug on, re-run in turbo mode and upload files.

0 Kudos
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The "Invalid Resources" error in the ClusterVMmapping.txt file is due to your use of non-standard VM names.  The script that generates this file expects the VM names to be ds2dbX, ds2webAX, oliowebX, etc.  You are using a "vmmark-" prefix which is preventing the script from identifying which VM it is. Please check the required VM names in the User Guide. 

This is not the cause of your compliance issue. The issue is noted by the * in the SingleTile.html file.  Your Deploy workload has 8 failures.  Additionally your dvdstore workload appears to have failed as well.

Once you upload a full tarball including all the files we can troubleshoot what the problem is.

0 Kudos
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks James.

I was wondering about the naming convention.  In earlier troubleshooting with David, there was never a mention that the names would be an issue at that time.  Of course we were troubleshooting a different issue.  I guess I will go back and modify those names in vCenter, hosts files, VMMARK2.config, etc. 

I have attached the latest output.

Thanks,

Jerry

0 Kudos
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

the VM names are not neccessary to fix to get the test to run.  You can get a running test with the names you have now.  If this is for your use only you can continue with the names you have now and ignore the invalid resource error.  If you will be publishing these results it would be neccessary to follow the naming convention.

The deploy workload is failing because it cannot ping the deployed VM.  Can you try manually deploying the template and ensure that it is coming up correctly with the correct IP address and can be pinged from the client?

The dvdstore workload is failing because it appears that you haven't completed the setup of dvdstore.  The template for dvdstore database is only partially setup.  You need to complete the setup process, this is deatilaed on pg 151 of the User guide in the section "Prepare the DVD Store 2 Database".  This step can take several hours to complete.  You only need to do this one time, once you have completed it you can clone the ds2db VM to create additional tiles without going this process.

0 Kudos
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks James.

I have already changed the names.  I missed the step about the database and assumed it was configured with the OVA.

0 Kudos
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

James,

Here is the issue I am having with the DeployVM.

I have verified that I have a SignedOff.ini file and I have verified that in my Customization Specification I have included the Run Once command.  I have verified that the password is set to the identical value in the template and CS.

The VM will deploy using the Customization Specification from the template.  While monitoring the VM it comes up initially with a "password incorrect" error and then reboots twice and completes the customization.  When it comes back that final time I have the same error of "password incorrect".  However, if I type in the password, it logs in and STAF starts in the background. This allows for a successful STAF ping.  If the system does not login automatically then STAF will never start and a STAF Ping is unable to take place.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Jerry

0 Kudos
jamesz08
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

check the username/password that was set in the Start Staf scheduled task on the template.  Try reentering the values.

0 Kudos
Jerry_Reddick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

James,

That worked.  I realized what happened.  I had originally built another standby and had it configured to use the administrator account.  I then redirected and used a standby that another person had built but did not check the account on the STAF scheduled task.

As for the DVD output....all is well there. I have ratios in my tilescore html file.

Thanks for the assistance.

Just one word of thought.  When you all come out with the next version, I think a better flowing document for installation and configuration may be in order.  Possibly removing the ability to do SLES from scratch and placing it in a separate document.  I found that section hard to follow the flow and in general did not feel the document flowed well.  Maybe it was just me but I missed several key items that I believe could have been avoided by maybe making them standout a bit better or possibly placing them in a section where it made more sense.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Jerry

0 Kudos