5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2015 10:18 AM by DougBaer

NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603

dickiesmart Lurker

Has anyone else tried this lab and used the recommended "readme.txt" file on the desktop for the lab scripts?

The file I see on the desktop only appears to have the logins for the different environments, no scripts/commands.

For now I am manually typing the required data.

Thanks, Dickie

• 1. Re: NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603
          DougBaer Master
          VMware Employees

Dickie,

You are correct.

We have been transitioning away from recording the scripts in the README.TXT file on the desktop within the lab environments in favor of a more manageable option, which is putting the commands in the manual for the lab.

We have two new integration options:

1) Drag and Drop : you can select text in the manual and drag it over to the lab console window. The text will be sent to the active window within the lab console.

2) Send Text : copy some text to the clipboard on your local machine, click the "Send Text" button in the HOL interface, and then paste the text in there and hit Send. This will also send the pasted text into the active window within the lab console.

I hope this helps

-Doug

• 2. Re: NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603
            DougBaer Master
            VMware Employees

I have noted, however, that the manual for HOL-SDC-1603 indicates that the commands should be available in the README.TXT file.

This is incorrect and those statements should be removed from the manual. Thank you for reporting this.

-Doug

• 3. Re: NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603
              dickiesmart Lurker

A follow up observation on the same HOL, I have jumped back in on a new session for the later modules and am now at Module 6.

Step 521 suggests you can stop the PING session in Putty, but I haven't been instructed to initiate one? However the Traceflow does show icmp traffic, how did that get there?

• 4. Re: NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603
                dickiesmart Lurker

Something odd on the lab rig in that on web-01a (or web-02a) if you "ping web-01a" it resolves to the correct address 172.16.10.11 but if you "ping web-02a" it resolves to 127.0.0.1 (ie localhost) so you are just pinging yourself....?

• 5. Re: NSX Hands-on Labs Keyboard COmmnads for HOL-SDC-1603
                  DougBaer Master
                  VMware Employees

Thanks for the note. You are correct again. For some reason, the "web-01a" host is configured to resolve the "web-02a" short name to localhost.localdomain. I suspect that the web-01a VM was cloned from the web-02a VM during development and updating the /etc/hosts file with the new name was overlooked. Due to the way that those VMs are manipulated and isolated in this lab, we use host files for resolution rather than DNS for those VMs, which is nonstandard in our environment.

I apologize for the confusion. As a workaround, using the FQDN of "web-02a.corp.local" from web-01a will resolve to the proper address.

-Doug