3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2015 10:26 AM by a.p.

Recover data from only snapshot vmdk file.

patefoniQ Lurker

Hi,

I have strange situation. During rebulding RAID 5, my vmfs was crashed. I recover datas from first base vmdk file, but current is broken. Also I have snapshot vmdk in good condition. How can I recover differential files only from snapshot flat-file? Those files are that which are missing. Is there any possibility to recover those files from only shnapshot flat file?

Sorry for my bad English, i don't use it every day.

--

best regards

Peter

• 1. Re: Recover data from only snapshot vmdk file.
          a.p. Guru
          Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

I recover datas from first base vmdk file, but current is broken. Also I have snapshot vmdk in good condition.

Can you please clarify which files you have, and which VMware product you are using?

Depending on the exact details, we might be able to help.

André

• 2. Re: Recover data from only snapshot vmdk file.
            patefoniQ Lurker

I have files:

main -> disk_1.vmdk (partly corrupted - I was able to recover some files from inside it)

snapshot -> disk_1-000001.vmdk (without errors in good condition - I can't mount it)

I have no idea how to mount snapshot file, without main disk.

Second thing:

Is there any way to repair VMFS with some free tool in ESXi 5.5? This will be the second method to recover those files.

• 3. Re: Recover data from only snapshot vmdk file.
              a.p. Guru
              User ModeratorsvExpertCommunity Warriors

You cannot mount a snapshot .vmdk file without its parent(s). However, if there's only this single snapshot, you should be able to manually mount the snapshot after fixing the snapshot chain (which I assume is broken). The snapshot .vmdk header file contains the parent .vmdk file's name as well as a "parentCID". The "parentCID" has to match the parent .vmdk's "CID". If the values don't match, modify the snapshot file's "parentCID" only (don't modify the "CID"!!).

How do you mount the virtual disk? In case you want to attach the virtual disk to a VM, you have to manually edit the VM's .vmx file, because a snapshot .vmdk file cannot be selected from the GUI. Remember that after editing a .vmx file, it has to be reloaded (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043).

Note: Make sure you have a backup of the VM's files in case something doesn't work as expected, and you need to revert to the current state!

André