VMware Communities
lesmond20111014
Contributor
Contributor

USB Device not working

Hello,

I have a Keil Link 2 device that I am trying to use with vmware Fusion 8.

http://www2.keil.com/mdk5/ulink

The driver is a simple HID driver and has never worked under vmware fusion.  Today I built a bootcamp partition with Windows 10.  The device works fine when booted natively.

When I add the bootcamp partition as a VM the device doesn't work!

Any ideas how I can get it to work?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tliugogo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Welcome and thanks for the posting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

So which device type of the HID, USB2.0 or USB3.0?

Can you check the VM's USB settings?  (VM Settings -> USB & Bluetooth -> Advanced USB options) .

Thanks,

- Tim

0 Kudos
lesmond20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tim,

I'm pretty sure it is a USB2.0 device.

The settings are USB 3.0 compatibility.

Lee

0 Kudos
dcblack
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.

0 Kudos
SCUBA_Instructo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Pre-purchase Fusion question, on the USB topic.

I'm not yet a Fusion user, and am preparing to upgrade my Mac Pro from System Yosemite to System El Capitan.

In doing so, I'm doing a test upgrade on an external Thunderbolt drive, just to see what works and what breaks.

In testing Parallels (their El Capitan version) their USB implementation required me to unplug, plug in, each

usb device several times.  I realize that Apple engineers rewrote the USB drivers drastically, and probably didn't warn

developers ahead of time. 

Faced with the probability of forever unplugging and replugging usb devices, here I am, asking about

USB behavior under VMWare.  I have Logitech and Stealthswitch USB  devices.

So, what do I need to know, about VMWare/System El Capitan, USB use?

Many thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Hello Jack!

Normally in Fusion, the following happens when you plug in a USB device:

• If no virtual machines are running in Fusion, then the device connects to your Mac.
  • If a single virtual machine is running in Fusion, then a dialog box appears with two buttons: Connect to Mac, Connect to Windows (or "Connect to Virtual Machine" if it is not Windows). Click on the desired button and the USB device connects.
  • If more than one virtual machine is running then a dialog box appears with a pulldown menu so you can choose where to connect the USB device. Choose the Mac or one of your virtual machines in the pulldown menu, then click OK.

In addition, the dialog box includes a checkbox for "Remember my choice and do not ask again," so the next time you plug in that device with that virtual machine running, you can skip the dialog box with the prompt. I never check it because I want to see the prompt every time, but that is a personal choice.

When you disconnect a device from Windows ("Safe to remove hardware"), it will appear on the Mac. If you want to reconnect a device to a running virtual machine after it has already connected to your Mac, you must eject it from the Mac, then disconnect the USB device from the USB slot on your Mac, and then reinsert the USB device in the USB slot on your Mac so that you will see the dialog box with the prompt that I described above. It makes sense to me.

If the USB device has Bluetooth connectivity, the dialog box with the prompt will not appear if the "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows" setting is enabled in VMware Fusion for your Windows virtual machine. The first time I connected a Bluetooth motorcycle helmet to a Windows virtual machine, I was confused when the dialog box did not appear. I could not get it to work until I found the setting in "USB and Bluetooth" and disabled it for that device. After that, it worked perfectly.

0 Kudos
dcblack
Contributor
Contributor

I may have discovered the problem. I was also suffering intermittent crashes by Wacom Bamboo software drivers (digitizing tablet). I subsequently removed all Wacom software (not currently using the tablet) and magically VMware started to work. I have not had time to reinstall/verify if the problem comes back.

To remove the software I used the terminal command:

% sudo find . /Library /System -iname '*wacom*' >files.txt ; # *** WARNING: Don't do this unless you know what it does and understand the implications ***

I then examined files.txt and moved almost everything found to a disk image (backup) other than Safari|Firefox cache|history information.

0 Kudos