VMware Communities
SleepyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Unity and CopyPaste does not work with Fusion 8.1 and Windows 10

Hi,

I have a Retina Mac 2015 Late and an external screen. I can't get Copy Paste working. Unity only flickar and the windows sound sound a couple and times after 30sek to a minute the flickering stops and I'm back to screen mode.

The Guest was updated from Fusion 7.

Is there anyone with an ide how to find the problem or is my setup not supported?

Best Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

These type of issues are almost always due to a broken VMware Tools install.

Do not try a repair install from within the Guest OS as it likely will not fix this.

In short follow these steps:

• Uninstall VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS
  • Install VMware Tools
  • Reboot guest OS.

A bit of a longer description is: 

• In Windows, go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> Select VMware Tools -> Uninstall

Follow the steps from the installer to completely uninstall VMware Tools

• Reboot the guest (==Windows)
  • Then from the Virtual Machine menu select "Install VMware Tools"

If no installer appears, go to the DVD-rom within windows and click "setup" (for 32 bits windows) or "setup64" (for 64 bits windows)

Once you see an installer, click "Next" until Finish, keep the defaults.

• Reboot the guest when done installing (it will ask by itself to reboot)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
SleepyZ
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your answer. I managed to get it to work by deselecting "Use full resolution for Retina display" and a reboot. After the reboot I got a question if I wanted to upgrade the Guest and I selected Yes. I also added more memory to the Guest.

Now it appears to work correctly. Hopefully it will stay that way Smiley Happy

//Daniel

0 Kudos
owells
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same setup and neither Unity nor Copy/Paste is working for me. Reinstalling VMware Tools per your instructions has no effect whatsoever.

0 Kudos
owells
Contributor
Contributor

FYI for any that are also dealing with this issue. I eventually contacted VMware tech support who eventually resolved this issue. In short no amount of reinstalling VMware Tools or even rebuilding my Windows 10 VM fixed the problem. In the end it came down to a permissions issue that was preventing VMware Tools from running under my user account even though it had administrator privileges. Which sounds like a flaw in the VMware Tools installer app to me. But in any event this is an excerpt from a tech support email that outlined the fix. It's basically a registry fix. Hopefully someone else will find this useful and spare themselves a lot of aggravation.

"Thank you for taking time to update us.

With regards to our telephonic conversation, we replicated the issue.

-We isolated that it was a user permission issue regarding the tools services.

-To resolve the issue, ensured that it was installed correct and configured.

-Then manually opened the registry Regedit >HKEY LOCAL MACHINE >SOFTWARE >VMware, inc and provided the read permissions to whole folder for your user

This helped us in resolving the issue."

0 Kudos