VMware Horizon Community
dann3
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View 3.5 and busybox

This is probably a developer question, but here goes.

I have 3.5 working on Centos7/RHEL7, but I need to get it working on Thinstation which used busybox rather than glibc.

When the client connects, it makes it past the welcome screen after login, then black, then disconnects.  The error in the log file is this:

rmksContainer(4772): ERROR: /build/mts/release/bora-2967609/bora/apps/rde/mksvchan/client/../common/mksvchanClipboardX11.c:75:MKSVchan_RequestTextCb: assertion failed: (g_helperThread == g_thread_self())

g_thread_self if part of glibc, but I don't know if it's used in busybox - that may be why it's failing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Do not quite understand your question here. Are you trying to install Horizon view client for Linux 3.5 on CentOS7/RHEL7? Or you are trying to connect to a remote Linux (CentOS7/RHEL7) desktop with view client 3.5? Can you please help to clarify?

0 Kudos
dann3
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to get Horizon View 3.5 (32 bit) for linux running with thinstation:  http://thinstation.github.io/thinstation/

I needed to test this setup for a thin client pxe boot application I am working on.

What I've tested:

Horizon View Agent on Windows 7 (works)

Horizon View Client on Windows 7 (works)

Horizon View Client on Centos 7 (works)

Horizon View Client on RHEL 7 (works)

Thinstation has a build option for Horizon View, but the current one is for 3.2, which I could not get to work.  Tech Support at VMware said recommended 3.5 and wanted no part of debugging 3.2.  So I worked with the developers at Thinstation, and they have a current branch that works with 3.5:  https://github.com/tsmichaelk/thinstation/tree/master/ts/build/packages/vmviewpcoip/

That version installs correctly, but does not work.  It does the following:

1 - Installs,

2 - When the OS boots, shortcut is configured in the "start" menu for Horizon View

3 - the application launches and connects to the View Agent server - non-secure, but it connects with password authentication

4 - The connection can "launch"

5 - After the Windows welcome screen, the screen goes black, and then disconnects.

The errors in the log file on the Horizon View Client running in Thinstation point to a glibc error regarding threading.  As Centos and RHEL both run glibc, and Thinstation uses busybox, that looks like a reasonable starting point to debug this.

My trouble ticket at VMware was kicked back, and I have put the above configuration in as a "feature request".  I don't imagine that will be fixed any time soon.  if it does, I will post back.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

dann3,

Thanks for your clarification. Just make it clear that: your question is about Horizon client installation on Linux OS but this community is for Linux remote desktop (Linux VDI). Unfortunately, there is no Horizon client for Linux specific community yet.  I hope some client experts can see your post and provide some help for you.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Yanzhao Zhang/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

dann3,

Just let you know that Linux remote desktop (Linux View Agent) does NOT support PCoIP protocol. Hope this can help your development.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi dann3,

For thin clients, they need to integrate VMware's code and re-distribute their own packages. Based on the links you provided, I don't think thinstation is a partner of VMware. VMware can't make sure their package is working.

For Centos ande RHEL, I think you're using the packages delivered by VMware - and no issue found. If you need to use thinstation, you need to push them to integrate 3.5 client.

0 Kudos
dann3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your responses.   Still no solution, I'll post back if there is one.

A few clarification on above comments/responses:

• I'm not looking for a Linux View Agent - the windows one is all we need, and it works fine.
  • The linux horizon view client is "integrated" into thinstation - it just doesn't work.  Why - I believe only the Horizon View Client developer from VMware would know the answer to that.
0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

do you have to use thin station? I created an ltsp thin client for PXE booting just for View and it works ok, with audio and usb redirection

0 Kudos
dann3
Contributor
Contributor

That would work.  I've haven't tried the LTSP thing in a long time.  I'll give it a go an post back.  Thanks for the tip/

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think I could work on a blog post on how to make it. You will need a WM like matchbox otherwise you won't be able to get the client fully maximised and some other issues must be take care of.

I have a netboot setup that boots all PCs i have thrown at it.

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello.

I wrote here

http://aggroworld.org/2016/01/10/vmware-horizon-view-linux-ubuntu-ltsp-thinclient/

how to create a view LTSP image with ubuntu 12.04

0 Kudos
sappomannoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi dann3‌,

those two files should be a hardlink:

/usr/lib/pcoip/vchan_plugins/libmksvchanclient.so

/usr/lib/vmware/view/vdpService/libmksvchanclient.so

somehow squashfs has some issues with that. Could you try to delete

/usr/lib/vmware/view/vdpService/libmksvchanclient.so

and test it again?

0 Kudos
joedillon
Contributor
Contributor

Encountered the same error on thinstation.  Removing this file works.  Can someone mark as answered?

0 Kudos