VMware Cloud Community
kingtut1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VIO 2.x Windows Guest Customization Wizard Q:

Has anyone been able to get the Guest Customization wizard to work from a imported Windows image in VIO 2.x ? Every time I spin a box up from Horizon, it does not get applied. Anyone know what I might be missing ? or need to add to get this fucntionality to work . Links are welcome!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We will get the documentation improved with examples.

Meanwhile, login to the Openstack Mgmt Server (this is the VM that gets deployed when u first install the VIO ova).

>sudo su

>less /opt/vmware/vio/custom/custom.yml

check that the following parameter is set to True. if it isn't then just add the below line to that file custom.yml file . If the file doesn't exist just create that file in that location.

nova_compute_vmware_use_guest_customizations: True

run the following command after that:

>viocli deployment configure

give it few minutes and try the customization flow again

let us know how the above goes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kingtut1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still cannot really find a some good documentation and or samples on how this really works . This URL helps, but could use some more technical examples would be super helpful .

Integrated OpenStack 2.0 Documentation Center

Cloud init seems to be interesting, but has a lot of bad press for windows systems.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We will get the documentation improved with examples.

Meanwhile, login to the Openstack Mgmt Server (this is the VM that gets deployed when u first install the VIO ova).

>sudo su

>less /opt/vmware/vio/custom/custom.yml

check that the following parameter is set to True. if it isn't then just add the below line to that file custom.yml file . If the file doesn't exist just create that file in that location.

nova_compute_vmware_use_guest_customizations: True

run the following command after that:

>viocli deployment configure

give it few minutes and try the customization flow again

let us know how the above goes

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also cloud init will work if you are using NSXv for neutron. The metadata service needs a dynamic route created to access it and DVS switch can't help there.

0 Kudos
kingtut1010
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VMware customization wizard kind of works for me , but seem to be to clunky. With clouldbase-init it automates a lot of the manual configuration required to deploy, add to domain, give access/password retrieval to requested vm user from Horizon.

I have a call with VMware VIO support later today to see if we can streamline the process. Seems like the answers are out there, but are spread across 100's of websites for our case here.

0 Kudos