I just checked the same Lab internally here at VMware and experiencing the same issue.
I will look into why this is happening and let you know when this is resolved.
Just tried the Lab again and it loaded for me now - Console is available.
Can you try again and let me know if you are still experiencing issues.
"There was an error while deploying this vApp. Please try again in a few moments or contact your administrator"
I will try to end Lab and enroll it again.
It's working now.
Thanks for help.
Thank you for reporting this. We have identified a problem with a portion of our capacity and have disabled deployments to that capacity and are cleaning up the failed deployments.
Hopefully that capacity will be returned to service shortly