VMware Cloud Community
vXav
Expert
Expert

vSphere Data protection 6 : Folders and PowerCLI

Hi,

VDP being a free backup solution that looks pretty cool I wanted to give it a try.

After deploying the VDP appliance on my vCenter and quickly configuring it, I tried to create my first job to backup the VMs contained in a folder as the admin guide said it's possible.

I then realised that I didn't have the possibility to do so in the GUI. After investigations I found this VMware blog (Pretty old post but still seems accurate) : vSphere Data Protection and vCenter Server Folders - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

So, technically, the VDP Administration Guide is accurate – you can select a folder when creating or editing a backup job. The catch is, the folder must be a Host and Cluster Folder. Unfortunately, a Host and Cluster Folder has very little value when it comes to organizing VMs for backup using VDP. Hopefully, we will see new and unique ways to organize and protect VMs in the future.

It basically says that we can use folders, but only "host and cluster folders" which can't host virtual machins.

So my questions are the following :

• What is the roadmap about the VM folders and vSphere tags support within VDP ?
  • Are there, somewhere, any powerCLI APIs available to create backup jobs "manually" ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vXav , have you found any PowerCLI for VDP yet ?

I'm struggling to find it too.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos