VMware Cloud Community
STTeam
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter 6.0 and -AllLinked. Supported?

I'm in the process of migration our 5.5 to newly created v6.0 vCenter servers however I noticed that some of the automation scripts that we've written were not working correctly. After a little digging I see that the parameter "-AllLinked" no longer works despite the fact that my PSC's are connected with Enhanced Linked Mode. So my questions is is that parameter no longer supported in v6 of am I missing some configuration option?

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

Did you set PowerCLI to work in 'Multiple' mode ?

You can do that with the Set-PowerCliConfiguration cmdlet and the DefaultViServerMode parameter.

Make sure to use the right Scope as well.

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
STTeam
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response Luc. I ran the command below but unfortunately I'm getting the same error. I know my PSC's are linked because I see both vCenters together in the web client. However I do not see them both in the thick client as I do in v5.5 (should I?). I wonder if I have a configuration problem.

set-PowerCLIConfiguration -DefaultVIServerMode Multiple -Scope AllUsers

0 Kudos
ebenarroch
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having the same issue... I know that linked mode for v6 (enhanced linked mode) is only visible from the web client.  However, the -alllinked command for PowerCLI no longer works...

I have been looking for a workaround or an alternative but have not been able to find one... The Multiple Server mode works well but it requires you to manually connect to each vCenter server...

If anyone finds an alternative to the "-AllLinked" parameter that serves the same function please post!!

0 Kudos
LucD
Leadership
Leadership

I suspect that this might be caused by the fact that the AllLinked option, or the APIs it might call, is looking at the ADAM directory, while Enhanced Linked Mode uses Open LDAP.

But that is just an assumption, perhaps the PowerCLI Dev Team might care to comment ?

Blog: lucd.info  Twitter: @LucD22  Co-author PowerCLI Reference

0 Kudos
ronnysteiner1
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem after upgrading a vSphere 5.5 environment with linked mode to vSphere 6.0 U2 using enhanced linked mode. This worked before without any problem. I also tried different PowerCLI versions from 5.8 to 6.3 R1 Patch 1 but the error is always the same.

I've also set DefaultVIServerMode to Multiple with the Set-PowerCLIConfiguration cmdlet.

I opened a SR with VMware for this as we need this functionality in several Powershell scripts.

0 Kudos
alanrenouf
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are looking into this, thanks for raising it with us.

Blog: http://virtu-al.net Twitter: http://twitter.com/alanrenouf Co-author of the PowerCLI Book: http://powerclibook.com
0 Kudos
medea61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello @alanrenouf Is there any update to this situation?

0 Kudos
Czernobog
Expert
Expert

Any news if this issue will be fixed in 6.5?

0 Kudos