VMware Cloud Community
StefanScherer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to enable Hyper-V in Windows Server 2016 TP4 VM in VMware Fusion?

I try to get Hyper-V up and running in a Windows Server 2016 TP4 VM running in VMware Fusion 7.1.3.

I tried severval flags (eg. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22283.how-to-install-hyper-v-on-vmware-wo...) and "Hyper-V (unsupported)" as well as "Windows Threshold" (windows9srv-64) guestos settings in vmx file, but always Hyper-V logs an error

ID=63, Severity=Error:
Hypervisor launch failed; The hypervisor was unable to initialize successfully (phase 0x2), and was not started.  This initialization failure may be the result of a platform configuration or firmware issue.  Contact your system vendor for more information or updated firmware.

ID=15350, Severity=Error:

The virtualization infrastructure driver (VID) is not running.

Does anybody have a solution for this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is your virtual hardware version?  I have had success with virtual hardware version 11, which is supported by Fusion 7.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is your virtual hardware version?  I have had success with virtual hardware version 11, which is supported by Fusion 7.

0 Kudos
StefanScherer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

jmattson‌ Thank you very much! Yes, I forgot about this "knob" and updated my packer template as well as the Vagrant setting to use hardware version 11 and now it works.

The relevant vmx settings are

vhv.enable = "TRUE"

virtualhw.version = "11"

Thanks again!

0 Kudos