VMware Communities
The_Learner
Contributor
Contributor

Copy from Ubuntu host to Win' 10 VM doesn't work (copying from the Chrome, at least)

Workstation 12 Player

Host: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (x64)

VM: Windows 10 (x64)

Drag and drop of files works in both directions and copying text from the guest VM to the host is fine, but as the subject states, I am not able to get a true copy/paste from the host to the VM. 

Interestingly, I've been able to highlight some text in the host and drag it to certain apps in the VM such as Chrome and OneNote, but NOT to notepad.

I've tried a variety of the below settings in the vmx file, but can't get any better results than described above:

isolation.tools.copy.enable = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.paste.enable = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.dnd.enable = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.setGUIOptions.disable = "FALSE"

*NOTE*.  I just noticed as I was putting this post together that I CAN copy from some host applications (gedit, FireFox, & Eclipse tested) and successfully paste into the VM.  I canNOT successfully copy from Chrome in the host OS, though. 

It now seems this is more of a Chrome issue on my host.  At least I now know a work-around of pasting the text into an intermediary app between host/Chrome and the VM.  Has anyone else already gone through this and have any thoughts on how to resolve?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
The_Learner
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, it seems this has been out for quite a while.  Please see this thread for more history: Copy and Paste issue - specific and wierd case

I also put in some feedback to Chrome, but we'll see what happens.  I think I might modify and try the python script to see if it will solve my problem until the VMware/Chrome teams resolve this. 

0 Kudos